Melted solder in downlight -warning!

Rees

We have a Mirage 5000 with hallogen downlights above the two setee seats. I have tried replacment LEDs but these do not give sufficient light for reading - but OK for watching TV.

Each of the downlights is marked '12v 10 watt'. It takes G4 bulbs. But I replaced two of the lights with 12v 20 watt G4 bulbs. After a time I noted that the light came on and off intermittently. I discovered that one of the soldered connections in the feed wire immediately above the light fitting had come undone. I now assume that this was caused by the extra heat generated in the 12v 20 watt lamp - so I have replaced all lights with the 12v 10 watt bulb. I am waiting for newer type LEDs to be developed that give more light. The ones that I have been using have 21 diodes from CAK.

Any comments welcome.

Thank you and Good post Rees, anything to with our safety is most welcome. You are probably right about the extra heat generated. On household fitting like table lamps a warning of " Do not exceed a maximum bulb wattage of say 60 Watts "

Mike

Rees

The CAK products you have been using are decidedly 'old technology' and LED replacements for G4 halogen bulbs are nowadays available with much greater light output. See

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/caravanmotorhome-leds-c-100.html?osCsid=604b031852ed9b4d519b83e1102d3553

As I've mentioned several times in the past, a LED bulb's dimensions, colour, beam angle and light output all need to be considered when contemplating replacing halogen/filament bulbs. It's false economy to buy a batch of LED bulbs and then find they won't fit the motorhome's light-units or the colour is horrid or the output inadequate. If there are alternatives, it's more prudent to purchase one of each type and confirm which is most suitable.

I agree with Derek.

Our main requirement for LED lamps was to replace the 10W tungsten lamps in the Eyeball spotlights which seem to produce as much heat as light.

I initially made a mistake by buying LED bulbs on eBay which turned out not to fit. The problem was solved at the Newark show this year by Aten Lighting who supply appropriate lamps. We were very impressed - they are superb for reading and for watching TV, to the extent that we now have very little need to use the fluorescent crown lights mounted on the ceiling.

At Peterborough I bought a replacement for a G4 halogen in the fitting in the washroom which turned out to be brighter than the original.

Most lamps are available as white or warm white and it's really a matter of personal preference as to which is appropriate. We found that suppliers at shows have boards set up to demonstrate their products so you can see the alternatives before you buy.

Graham

Archived