Help the aged

Help the aged  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I am rapidly approaching the big seven zero and the Hymer is 3800Kgm,s

I have to obtain a new licence and need a doctors certificate to obtain it. I’m sure at least one of you has passed this milestone and can answer a few questions like, How early can I apply. Do I have to obtain the certificate or will the doctor have one.

Any help would be appreciated as I am hoping o start a major trip in the same month that my present licence runs out, Nov09.

mike.wittamore - 2009-06-01 11:10 AM

As I am rapidly approaching the big seven zero and the Hymer is 3800Kgm,s

I have to obtain a new licence and need a doctors certificate to obtain it. I’m sure at least one of you has passed this milestone and can answer a few questions like, How early can I apply. Do I have to obtain the certificate or will the doctor have one.

Any help would be appreciated as I am hoping o start a major trip in the same month that my present licence runs out, Nov09.

I received a reminder from DVLA about 3 months before my birthday.

As my van is below 3500kg I didn't bother with a medical because locally it costs about £80 and I didn't really need it.

I'm sure others will be along to advise you about the certificate.

:-|

Hi Mike, If you can drive your Hymer down through Fowey they should give you your licence automatically. My parents used to live down Fowey, the Mrs and I used to visit them on a motor bike rather than risk driving a car down there and trying to find space to park.

Hi,

Anticipate that they will invite you to apply for your new licence about three months before it is due. My experience is that you should take advantage of every available day. It was nearly three weeks before they sent me a medical questionaire..........

Check your photocard, see when that expires. I think you still have to pay to change your photo, but it only needs changing once after age 70. Seems to be no point in paying now, then paying again in a couple of years.

W3526602 - 2009-06-01 4:54 PM

Hi,

Anticipate that they will invite you to apply for your new licence about three months before it is due. My experience is that you should take advantage of every available day. It was nearly three weeks before they sent me a medical questionaire..........

Check your photocard, see when that expires. I think you still have to pay to change your photo, but it only needs changing once after age 70. Seems to be no point in paying now, then paying again in a couple of years.

Hi 602,

You won't have to pay to change your photo see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

Don

DVLA will advise you the forms you require before you reach the dreaded 70 You will not have to pay for a new photocard but unless you have completed the medical details and have written confirmation of medical by your doctor to continue driving above 3500kgs your licence will be resticted to the lower weight. You have to pay for the medical costs vary acording to a doctors scale of charges. When i reached the age limit some time ago i was quoted over £100 so i did'nt bother

try driversmedicals.com

£49.00 and the nearest place to you is Exeter.

when i had my last HGV medical my GP charged me £160.00. the medical you have to have is the same.

i know where i'm going for the next one.

i download the medical form from the DVLA website.

Hi Mike

Just some (possibly daft!) questions:

1) Do you actually need a 3800kg motorhome?

2) If not, is it possible to down-plate your motorhome to bring it within the 3500kg level?

3) Would down-plating it still allow you a good payload?

Just a thought ....

:-D

Perhaps we should repeat the advice to photocopy evrything before you send off your old licence to DVLA, then you can check your new licence and make sure it has all you want, and if not you can prove that you had it previously.

On the subject of medical certificates, my GP completed mine as required, including details of my heart problems, and indicated that I was in pretty good nick, and there was nothing that should prevent me renewing my PCV licence, or renewing my driving licence. I was asked to undertake further tests, and that cost me £750.

AGD

Archived