The appearance of a spanner??

kevandali

Hi All

I have a Swift Suntor 630L on a Fiat and I have just come back from Bonny Scotland and completed a round rip of about 600 miles. I noticed that a spanner symbol has appeared on the van display underneath where the digital speedo is. I then noticed that when the engine is warm and I go to restart the engine it sometimes takes two or three attempts to start whereas before it was first time every time.

Any advice much appreciated, what is my best course of action? Find a fiat dealer and get it hooked up on one of those diagnostic machines??

Any help much appreciated.

I think you'll find that its telling you your service is due, it happens on my Fiat ,never had trouble starting the engine when it appears , I did ask at S,J . Poole where I get my services done if I ignored the sign would I at some time be prevented from starting the engine, I know some up market cars have the engine imobilised when this happens, but I was assured it is only there as an indication that service is due, make sure that when you have the service done the warning spanner is reset. *-) *-)

Guest Tracker
I suppose it is vaguely possible that one day Fred might try to post a sensible answer or even, heaven forbid, try to help somebody - just don't anyone else hold your breath in anticipation.

When we had one, it means it was due for a service. If you've had one, it could be that it wasn't reset and has now come up to 'annoy' you. Double check in hour handbook that that's all it could be and if you're content it doesn't need it's service yet, then just ignore it. We lived with it for a year once because the garage who serviced it (a small local place) didn't have the means to reset it.

For those that like to be 'in the driving seat' when it comes to dealing with garages the spanner or equivalent light is from the onboard computer. It is possible to connect to the vehicle using and interface (starting from £25) that either tells you what is wrong and may allow you to turn the light off.

On our Transit based MH we have an ELM327 so connected that feeds a computer I have installed for navigation and holding all our music files to feed the radio as well. The interface and associated software allows me to monitor various engine sensors and respond if necessary.

Archived