insurance for electric bikes

worky

hi - has anyone got electric bikes and if so are they insured and with whom. have just renewed house/contents cover with Halifax and they do not accept electric bikes on the contents cover because they class them as "motorised". Am looking for cover for theft/damage for UK/Europe.

cheers

Guest JudgeMental

Our 2 Wisper E Bikes are insured under our Barclay's home policy they cost approx £20 extra each as value over £1000 each

There is also stand alone bike insurance that cover E Bikes, but these are normally more expensive (over £100?) use Google or look on bike forums for details

hya Judge- thanks for reply have tried Cycleguard and been quoted £119 - phew- plus they have list of which cycle locks they recognise as being to standard, all of them the most expensive obviously. So looks like I'll have to bite the bullet this time but next year switch home insurer to Barclays or someone who will add Ebikes to policy

Guest JudgeMental
worky - 2009-06-03 9:05 PM

hya Judge- thanks for reply have tried Cycleguard and been quoted £119 - phew- plus they have list of which cycle locks they recognise as being to standard, all of them the most expensive obviously. So looks like I'll have to bite the bullet this time but next year switch home insurer to Barclays or someone who will add Ebikes to policy

Have you actually asked your insurer? and said you are going to move your policy if they won't accomodate you? its really just like insuring high value items I dont see why they wont offer cover.......

what bikes have you gone for? we use silver graded locks, and cable to secure wheels to lock*-) Plus a bike alarm, and another locking cable through the seat/ battery handle and frame :-D

hya Judge - it does actually say in print in the policy exclusions "motorised cycles". as for security I've got a Abus coiled steel cable but wouldn't you know its not one of those recognised by Cycleguard, so like I said its bite the bullet time

Archived