swift motorhome - engine battery

cornishjojo

I've never had any problem after disconnecting the battery. Reconnect and she starts first time and drives as per normal.

The Fiat handbook supplied with the vehicle recommends the battery is disconnected when long periods of storage are envisaged.

I believe Ford based vehicles may be different.

I thought about an isolator switch but it is so simple to just disconnect the battery. The earth connector is even a quick release lever, flick it and remove the clamp.

I like the sound of Peter's plipper from Liddl and will try and purchase one this weekend. Although I'm not sure this will help as I believe the current drain is from the engine immobiliser. I checked all other circuits with one of those vehicle current testers that you simply plug into the fuse holder.

Incidently my next door neighbour has a small Fiat car(not sure which model) that he keeps in Spain. If not used for 3-4 weeks the battery is flat. He also lifts the battery earth lead before returning to the UK and then it stays charged for ages.

Guest peter

I doubt you'll find one in Liddl's as I bought it last year and fitted it to my Toyota Supra. But I removed it as I kept pressing the wrong button and cutting the battery completely which the engine management sytem didn't like. I once caught it with my knee whils going into B&Q's car park, which was quite embarrasing as the engine went stone dead and I thought it had had it , until I realised what I'd done and re-set it.

I can sell you mine if you want, just P.M me.

Archived