Re "Discover" formerly Brownhills,

gboden65

A report in the Wolverhampton "Express&Star" newspaper on Tuesday 2nd of June.

60 staff go as caravan dealership" Discover"closes down,around 60 workers have been made redundant after a caravan dealership closed its branch in cannock,it was totally out of the blue.Other office's had closed elsewhere in the cuontry but cannock were told they were safe bacause of the good location for the motorway network,the redundancy letter even said trade had been really good recently,the only person who kept their job was the manager who has been sent to another office but the rest of the workforce were dismissed without warning or emotion, the company also closed its Newport and Weston super Mare operations on thursday a total of 150 job losses. :-(

Unfortunately and in my opinion I believe that there will be a lot more loss of jobs in all areas of industry over the next 12 months. Only the strong will survive or those that adjust their strategy to cope with the lean times. Remember the farming industry, hit heavily by the BSC outbreaks (Both of them). A lot of farmers went bust but many who diversified managed to hold on and now have flourishing alternate businesses.

Big Momma - 2009-06-04 12:10 PM

Unfortunately and in my opinion I believe that there will be a lot more loss of jobs in all areas of industry over the next 12 months. Only the strong will survive or those that adjust their strategy to cope with the lean times. Remember the farming industry, hit heavily by the BSC outbreaks (Both of them). A lot of farmers went bust but many who diversified managed to hold on and now have flourishing alternate businesses.

"BSC"? did this spread by degrees?

starvin marvin - 2009-06-04 9:41 PM

Big Momma - 2009-06-04 12:10 PM

"BSC"? did this spread by degrees?

Yup, and they became masters at spreading it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Times On Line has a story this morning that Discover has avoided administration through a CVA - creditors' voluntary arrangement. Creditors will get just 22p in the pound over the next 5 years.

KPMG who arranged the deal say they are expecting more CVA's in the industry. I think we should take this as a timely reminder of the point made by Bog Momma about current risks earlier on this thread.

Bob

Shame for those who will lose their jobs, or have done, and those who will lose out through unpaid debts. Discover was reported to be heavily reliant on borrowing and this has never been a good way of running a business. Very susceptible to a change in interest rates, low inflation, and descreased sales. You can cope with one of these, but not all three.

It's tough for many but those with cash in the bank and a flexible business model will prosper. My son's employers have seen tile sales rise 25% over the same 6m period last year and profits up by c10% as other businesses unfortunately run out of credit. They have no borrowing and very tight control over debtors.

Archived