water!

wild rover

Hello again. I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question! When we bought our MH it already had water in it. We've had it almost 3 and a half weeks now and we haven't used much water because there are only two of us. My husband thinks we should now change the water and put in some fresh water, but he's concerned that if we just 'dump' the water that it might cause some kind of an air lock. I personally don't think that's possible, but I would love to hear what the experts think.

Dump it! You have no way of knowing what was put in it originally by the previous owners!!!! 8-)

You shouldn't get any airlock so long as when you fill up again, you open all the taps and ensure that you draw the water through fully. If you get into problems, just let us know and we'll sort you out. :D

wild rover - 2009-06-04 9:25 PM

Thanks for that. Must you refill immediately or can it wait for a few days? Sorry if these are stupid questions but we are real newbies.

Pam

When we come home we drain and dry the tank, then fill with fresh the day we go away again.

( Actually we usually half fill to keep the weight down).

:-|

Yes, that's right. There is no need to keep water in the tank if you are not going to use it. Just drain off and leave until you want to go away again in the van. My van water gauge will show full, but, once you turn on the water pump it fills the hot water tank before it pushes water through the taps so in theory, depending on how much water you need, you could top it up a little further.

We always fill fresh every outing and dump when finished. This is especially important comes to the winter, as you don't want any water freezing and causing damage. We tend to leave the taps open but make sure they are closed before filling up - something you'll remember if you get caught out! Also depending on where and how long we fill accordingly to save weight and additional fuel costs

You don't say what van you have, but on the basis the water has been in the tank for some time, definitely dump it.  You should have a manual with the van, and that should explain the correct sequence for draining and re-filling the tank.  If not, switch off the pump and then open all taps etc fully.  Then open the drain valve/pull the plug on the fresh water tank and on the hot water tank/Truma combi as appropriate.  If possible, go for a little drive around with all valves etc open, to be sure all water in pipes etc drains off.

Buy some sterilising solution, but pay attention to any warnings about using chlorine based products.  If you can't get anything that seems suitable locally, do a Google under Miriad products and them give them a ring.  They will supply mail order over the 'phone.  They do a product called Microbox that seems very good, and contains a non-chlorine based sterilising agent, a further treatment to remove taint (which seems a likely problem as your water will have stagnated in the tank/pipes) and a further product that maintains the water in drinkable condition for a claimed three months.  However, I would generally recommend draining and re-filling between trips, unless the interval will be only a few days.  If you are only weekending, fresh mains water should be quite adequate for that time, and thorough draining afterwards should leave everything clear for a fill with more fresh before then next trip. 

If your trips are longer, say more than a fortnight, then the treatment to keep the water in good condition may be worth considering, otherwise using it for short trips will become very expensive and of little value.  Most problems with smells and "off" tastes in motorhome water systems seems to arise because of the difficulty in getting water out of the pipes rather than out of the tanks.  If you can work out how to do that on your van you will avoid much of the risk.

In general I concur with Brian's comments but with one proviso. If your van has a submersible pump they don't like being left dry. In this case it MAY be better to leave the water in until just before you go away again and then change it and flush the system with the products Brian mentions.

D.

Guest Tracker
Interesting point - and I don't doubt your knowledge Dave - but when you buy a submersible pump its dry - so what differs if you store it dry - as long as you don't run it when dry?

Wild rover,

Are you aware that drinking plain water from the holding tank is not adviseable, its OK after boiling, cooking and for general use.

Most of us take a seperate supply of water in bottles or a larger container for personal drinking.

When filling at sites from the "drinking water supply" we still do not 'drink it' after its been held in the tank.

But it's OK to have a glass from the tap.

Bill

libby - 2009-06-05 9:46 PM

When filling at sites from the "drinking water supply" we still do not 'drink it' after its been held in the tank.

But it's OK to have a glass from the tap.

Bill

The water that comes out the tap comes from the tank......doesnt it (!)

Oh dear, that's a mistake !! What was meant was its OK to drink the water straight from the tap 'on the site'

Thanks for spotting that, it changes the whole situation. No doubt someone would have bent my ear for giving the wrong impression.

Bill

Hi, I think from a fuel economy point it is not wise to drive around with a tank full of water and that it would be more suitable to only fill your tank on arrival at a site. Then when moving on empty waste and fresh water tank to ensure your not carrying excess weight. Hope this helps

Guest Tracker
libby - 2009-06-05 9:46 PM

Most of us take a seperate supply of water in bottles or a larger container for personal drinking.

Bill

Actually no - most of us drink the tank water - but we do change it regularly and never use stale water!

There is nothing wrong with tank water providing the tank is clean and the water fresh(ish) and it is purely a matter of personal preference whether to drink tank water or not.

I've been drinking tank water for over thirty years and it has helped keep me insane.

There is no right or wrong way- just different ways!

Guest Tracker
gmcclin - 2009-06-06 1:02 PM

Hi, I think from a fuel economy point it is not wise to drive around with a tank full of water and that it would be more suitable to only fill your tank on arrival at a site. Then when moving on empty waste and fresh water tank to ensure your not carrying excess weight. Hope this helps

Maybe - but 20 gallons of water weighs about 200 lbs - or about 14 stone - about the weight of one hefty passenger?

So is there any evidence that adding or removing one hefty passenger from any largish diesel engined vehicle - particularly a well laden vehicle designed to carry loads - has any noticeable effect on fuel consumption?

For many of us the convenience of having lots of water on board and the freedom of being able to go where the whim takes takes us whilst not having to find a site is worth any theoretical penalty.

On the other hand if one is simply going from one site to another site there is little point in carrying more water than is needed for the journey - as long as you do get to your site without a change of plan or route.

As ever there is no right or wrong way - just different ways and it is a matter of personal choice whether to tour with a full / part full / or empty water tank

Have to agree with you tracker there is no right and wrong way people have differing opinions. If you spend a lot of time of site maybe wild camping then you need to carry sufficient water capacity to fulfil your requirements until you find a place to replenish. If you are one of the many who move from site to site then you dont need to carry excess water and by doing so you are topping up each time with fresh water. There is no right and wrong way it is up to the individual.

Just remember to include a full tank of water in your weight calculations if you do drive round with a full tank. Water weighs in at 1 kilo per litre so it's easy to do the sums!

You can also buy an inline water filter to attach to your pipework if anyone is worried about water quality.

Archived