autotrail cheyenne 696 low bed

elaine42

Hi recently bought a cheyenne 696 low bed 2007 model and have discovered that the chimney cap/top is missing. Also missing is the heater intake cover. Any suggestions would be welcome of where we can get these replacements and other comments.

Also main roof light is broken. Opening arm damaged. Is this replaceable item or do I need to buy a whole new unit. Any help on replacement or upgrade would be appreciated.

Draughts are a great problem in the passenger seat area, has anyone else noticed this? There seems to be a gap between the original cab and the conversion, behind the passenger seat, the road can be seen through the vehicle, is this normal.

Need information on fitting out garage area for fixing points. Any help would be appreciated.

TV and areial/freeview box, have been a great problem, not sure if just not getting a signal or problem with freeview box. (Also not received any manuals). Have had to disconnect the rear camera, which comes on when reverse gear is not engaged, to see DVD, otherwise DVD is over-viewed with reversing camera. Help.

I have built my own motorhomes for 20 years plus and am not a novice to camping/motorhome, although this is my first bought coachbuilt. I am a bit disappointed in the component quality, and workmanship and when deciding to buy, Autotrail was a quality vehicle in comparison to other motorhomes, although seeing the road through the vehicle is daunting/alarming and damm sight frighting.

Also on investigation have noticed that the water waste pipe reduces in diameter from the sink/bathroom to the water tank, hence causing blockage problems. I have invested in chemical drainage cleaners but feel this is environmentally unfriendly and will change the pipe diameter as soon as I can in order to rectify this problem. Surely Autotrail are aware that reducing waste pipe is against any plumbing standards.

Front seats are unacceptably high, is this normal? I am a 5ft 9ins passenger and find the front passenger seat on it's lower setting uncomfortble high. Has anybody else noticed this.

OK any comments would be appreciated.

Having said all of the above negative, would like to comment that I have just had a weeks holiday in Wales in my new motorhome and had a wonderful time.

But being a perfectionist need to know more. Many thanks for your time and effort in answering my questions.

Elaine

Elaine

I believe your Cheyenne has a Truma S-3002 air heater and a Truma 10litre-capacity Ultrastore water boiler.

Regarding the missing chimney cap/top and boiler flue cover (which is what I assume your "heater intake cover" refers to), I suggest you contact Truma(UK)

http://www.trumauk.com/contact-truma-uk/

and ask them to send you a "Leisure Products for caravan and motor home" catalogue.

There are several flue-top variants for a S-3002 heater and the catalogue will show what's available and provide Part Numbers and prices.

There are two different flue covers for the Ultrastore boiler - one for boilers from 01/1992 to 06/2006 and another for 07/2006-onwards models. Presumably your boiler will require the latter, but, if you give Truma(UK) your boiler's Serial Number, they should be able to confirm which one you will need.

The main UK retailer of Truma spares is Miriad Products

http://www.miriad-products.com/

I can't comment usefully on your other observations, except to say that your belief that motorhome manufacturers will employ reason, common sense and best practice when designing and constructing their products is sadly misplaced.

elaine42 - 2009-06-06 12:15 AM

Hi recently bought a cheyenne 696 low bed 2007 model and have discovered that the chimney cap/top is missing. Also missing is the heater intake cover. Any suggestions would be welcome of where we can get these replacements and other comments.

Also main roof light is broken. Opening arm damaged. Is this replaceable item or do I need to buy a whole new unit. Any help on replacement or upgrade would be appreciated.

Try here, the do loads of stuff:

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/

Draughts are a great problem in the passenger seat area, has anyone else noticed this? There seems to be a gap between the original cab and the conversion, behind the passenger seat, the road can be seen through the vehicle, is this normal.

No this is NOT normal! You need to check why you can see daylight - have the attachments which secure the rear coachbuilt part to the cab come lose/gone missing? You need to establish why there is this gap, until you do I would strongly suggest you DO NOT drive it!

Need information on fitting out garage area for fixing points. Any help would be appreciated.

What are you wanting to 'fix' in there - a motorcycle, or just bicycles and general bits and pieces? If the former, you'll need to find some substantial points in the structure to fix to. If the latter, then I just used strong loops of flat cord, the type you get on some ratchet strap sets, which I was able to pass behind the existing support structures, you could also use some good quality cable ties. Once these are in place I use bungy straps or elasticated netting with hooks on (the type for holding stuff on to a motorcycle's rear racks) to keep everything in place.

TV and areial/freeview box, have been a great problem, not sure if just not getting a signal or problem with freeview box. (Also not received any manuals). Have had to disconnect the rear camera, which comes on when reverse gear is not engaged, to see DVD, otherwise DVD is over-viewed with reversing camera. Help.

Sorry, not up on the electrical stuff except to say try using the freeview box in the house and see if it works there.

I have built my own motorhomes for 20 years plus and am not a novice to camping/motorhome, although this is my first bought coachbuilt. I am a bit disappointed in the component quality, and workmanship and when deciding to buy, Autotrail was a quality vehicle in comparison to other motorhomes, although seeing the road through the vehicle is daunting/alarming and damm sight frighting.

I assume you bought this as a private sale without a warranty of any sort? If not, then take it back to where you got it from and demand they sort it for you (assuming the warranty is still valid).

Also on investigation have noticed that the water waste pipe reduces in diameter from the sink/bathroom to the water tank, hence causing blockage problems. I have invested in chemical drainage cleaners but feel this is environmentally unfriendly and will change the pipe diameter as soon as I can in order to rectify this problem. Surely Autotrail are aware that reducing waste pipe is against any plumbing standards.

Unfortunately normal household standards don't count for motorhomes, but I don't know why you'd be experiencing blocking problems if all that is being put down it is water etc (ie no solids, oil etc). It may take some time (ours Rimor's kitchen sink does) but it does go down eventually.

Front seats are unacceptably high, is this normal? I am a 5ft 9ins passenger and find the front passenger seat on it's lower setting uncomfortble high. Has anybody else noticed this.

I assume it's on a Fiat (old version) - yes they can be a bit high especially if they are fitted wish swivels although this doesn't mean without swivels they are okay. I use a typist footrest to put my feet on when travelling distances in the motorhome - cheap and can easily be removed to allow access as necessary.

Having said all of the above negative, would like to comment that I have just had a weeks holiday in Wales in my new motorhome and had a wonderful time.

That's great - I'm pleased you have had a good time. :-D

Mel B

Hi Elaine,

regarding your freeview didgy box, first you need to programme it in at every new location and if you are still having trouble check every connection to it and that means pulling back every coloured wire protector to check that the soldered connectors aren't broken. You will also need to be in an area with a good signal and you can check this by using a RoadPro Signal Finder, a valuable piece of kit to have with you.

Regarding your choice motorhome, Autotrail have a very good pedigree and are bomb proof, a good dealer will always be able to source any replacement parts you may need during ownership.

Hi Elaine and welcome,

I was alarmed to read that you can see daylight/road from your motorhome - this is Not normal and should be checked out immediately for your own safety. It asks the question why has this happened? Did you buy this motorhome from a dealer? if so I would go back to them with this and the other points to get fixed. If you bought the motorhome privately unfortunately it's 'bought as seen' and you have no comeback unless (I believe) it is proven that they have knowingly sold you a dangerous vehicle - this is the difficult thing to prove though as it's got to be evidential proof not heresay.

I'm sorry to sound a downer on your new purchase, but please please get it checked out for your own safety. I'm sure with the other problems the guys on here will offer you some great advice.

With regards to the height of the cab seats, this is probably to do with the swivel mechanism.

Glad you enjoyed your recent trip and I'm sure you will have more in the future.

Elaine,

regarding your high seating position, if you contact Tony Sugg at Wyvern Accessories Ltd, Shepton Mallet, phone no 01749 346063 or mobile, 07973 759593 he stocks the low seat bases to which your swivel seats attach to, they will give you a better driving position.

Roland.

Many thanks for all your comments. Will take note. I was on a bit of a rant wasn't I.

Anyway have used the links provided and set things in motion. So hopefully now just work through the list and get things sorted. I will take advice on safety regarding the gap in the cab, and I am sure this can be sorted to.

I may have sounded like it was a bit of a downer but really we are so pleased with the Autotrail, it is everything we wanted, have been looking for a coachbuilt for nearly 12 months now and this is just right. Just looking forward now to making time to use it. Once again many thanks for your comments and advice. I have been reading the forum for some time and no doubt will return will more questions.

• 2 weeks later...

We part exchanged our 2006 reg Cheyenne 696SE low bed at the beginning of April 2009, just days after the warranty expired.

The day before we were due to hand it over while removing some equipment I discovered a significant water leak in an overhead locker where the recessed GRP moulding for the semi-integrated awning fits into the side wall.

It had rained for almost 2 days non-stop & the wallboard was like a sponge and there was a huge water filled blister where the vinyl had bulged out from what was left of the plywood.

Fortunately for us we had a habitation & dampness check done three weeks earlier which reported everything was dry. I am relieved to say the dealer who carried out the damp check (and sold us the original van & our new one) honoured the PEX price on our new van when I pointed out the damp problem. He agreed that the problem should have been picked up during the damp check while still covered by the warranty. What was slightly alarming was he wasn't surprised, saying they had seen a few more like it.. :-(

It looked to me as if the seal where the GRP moulding fits into the wall had gone big-time. As the vehicle was parked on a very slight slope I think water leaked in, travelled along the moulding insde the wall and dripped off at the lowest point.

Something to watch out for vans with integrated awnings I think.

Our new van has a 'bolt-on' awning so I only need to keep an eye on the bolt holes :-)

Archived