Prices in Europe

Don Madge

I lifted this from the Motorhome List it don't make for good reading.

"Got back from France/Spain/Portugal/Spain/France a week ago. Best gazole price I saw in France was 90cents and that was down in the Vendee somewhere. Most supermarkets seemed to be around 94 cents. Spain was around 80cents and Portugal was over 1 euro, though I saw one garage at 98cents and queues around the block.

Food was dearer than England in France and Portugal (e.g. 2 euros for a round, small, cabbage) though some fruit was cheaper in Portugal (oranges 1.5euros for 5 kilos in the Algarve, cherries 2euros/kilo roadside stall in the far north). Meals out were even dearer than last year even in euros let alone pounds. No wonder McDonalds continue their advance.

Spain was about the same as England if you weren't tied to UK brands. The exception was wine at 55 cents/litre for red/white/rose bricks in Lidl Spain. Drinkable and even enjoyable. Same wine in Lidl Portugal was 87cents. A similar wine though French or Italian, not Spanish, in Lidl France was 1.80 euros.

Came back up the Atlantic coast where most aires were charging.

Altogether noticeably dearer even than last year."

Guest JudgeMental

we were in the Loire over whitsun and found it generally more expensive. alcohol is hardly worth the bother of transporting. Wine still better value but not by much. a carton of beer that used to be approx £5 is now nearly £10. cheaper deals in supermarkets here......

an English couple next to us were telling us that a KFC meal in England that cost £8 was 22 euro and they were charged 14 euro for a rotisserie chicken at a market that was £2.99 in Asda lol I was thinking the chicken was probably a "Noir" but still expensive all the same!

we were very unlucky (I hope!) eating out with very poor and expensive food. this was after trundling around comparing restaurants before hand....very disappointing.

We find Italy better value for eating and cant wait to get back there this summer :-D

There are many full timers suffering very badly at present. We have friends who sold up and started full timing about five years ago, they had a very good life style until last year.

They are now on a very limited income and in fact have now started to eat into their capital.

They are in Portugal at present and can't really afford to bring the van back to the UK for its annual service and MOT. In their own words they have joined the growing band of "Free Loaders" who are at their wits end worrying how things will turn out. What was paradise five years ago is slowly turning into a nightmare.

Don

Eating out in Southern Ireland is very costly, the government has added a levy to all goods plus the £ to € losses, some receipts will state its a goverment levy, never to be reduced I'm told. Everyone has increased their costs to cater for their losses.

I would suggest its all very much dearer than at home.

A simple meal of fish and chips with a salad (rabbit food) can be £10.00. To eat more substantially think of £25.00 each. Diesel is less than at home.

The best value for eating out seemed to be the resturants connected / in the hypermarkets.

Flunch and Cressendo (spl ??) offered good quality at a resonable price.

Although not quite the same as sitting a proper resturant enjoying its amibiance !

Peage diesel was up in the €1.10 mark, expensive but convient.

Rgds

I'm not sure how much store ones should set by such stories.  The £/Euro exchange rate was in the order of 1.25 (but falling); it is now maybe around 1.06 (but fluctuating like a yo-yo).  However, that difference in rates will give somewhere around 18% increase in prices, without any cost increases in other countries.

We have been paying somewhere between 94/97 Euro cents per litre for diesel, supermarkets only, and different supermarkets in different parts of France, since early April.  I think the price quoted has been converted to pence, as that seems about the right sum at the 1.06 rate.  When we left UK we paid £1.03 per litre at Tesco.  So, even at present rates diesel is cheaper in France.

Food prices fluctuate from place to place, shop to shop, and according to the country of origin of the produce.  Spanish strawberries in French supermarkets were roughly half the price of French strawberries - so buy Spanish.  We haven't bought cabbages, why would we with good reasonably priced fresh salad produce plentiful?  Meat is, and has always been, pricier in France.  However, pork is relatively cheap, lamb rare, beef we do not eat, veal varies - and the quality is a lottery, chicken has risen sharply in price, ditto fresh salmon, and ditto duck.  But, here and there, there are more reasonable prices so one just shops accordingly.  Overall it is more expensive; it can hardly avoid being so with the fall in the value of Sterling.

Eating out seems a bit more pricey, but again, with the aid of dear old Michelin there is good food to be had at better than UK prices - like for like - and with good service.  Who goes to France to eat in McDonalds?  If that is your preference you can get the same junk in the UK, so why travel at all?

Good wine is freely available at under 4 Euros per bottle, I haven't paid that much yet and have drunk some super stuff.

Quoting the price of cherries here and there is not a great help, they vary depending on season and crop levels locally.

Buying UK brands abroad is, generally, in my opinion, a mug's game.  Shift to a diet akin to the local diet and the food cost is not that much worse.  More expensive, yes, and we have been more choosy and eaten out less, but we're still having fun and enjoying our travel.  Don't let’s frighten ourselves into staying at home if we don't want to.  Just adapt and select and the quality is still there, and you needn't go bankrupt in the process.  Enjoy!!

We've always found, on the whole, quite a lot of the food the same or more expensive than the UK, meat especially can be quite high, and even the veg isn't always much better. From some of the costs given here, there doesn't appear to be that much of a difference from the last time we went (2008). The real change is the fact that the Euro/£ rate is worse than it was.

Whilst I appreciate that people like to eat out ... if the cost is too great then why not get some good grub and cook it yourself - you've got the means in your motorhome and you don't have to do gastromic delights to enjoy yourself. We always intend to have a meal out on holiday but usually have so much good grub which we've bought on our travels that we can't wait to tuck into it so don't bother going out! :-D

Maybe its just me but I don't quite undertstand the mentality of wanting to buy food and drink (such as sandwiches and coffee etc) at extortionate prices when you've got a perfectly good motorhome with all that you need in it ... It's like when some people go to the indoor or outdoor motorhome shows, you see them lining up at the food outlets willingly waiting to be 'fleeced' ... why????? *-) If that's what you like to do, then so be it, but I just don't get it. 8-)

Whilst I appreciate that people like to eat out ... if the cost is too great then why not get some good grub and cook it yourself - you've got the means in your motorhome and you don't have to do gastromic delights to enjoy yourself. We always intend to have a meal out on holiday but usually have so much good grub which we've bought on our travels that we can't wait to tuck into it so don't bother going out! :-D

Maybe its just me but I don't quite undertstand the mentality of wanting to buy food and drink (such as sandwiches and coffee etc) at extortionate prices when you've got a perfectly good motorhome with all that you need in it ...

Couldn't agree more. We've just come back from a week in the Picos de Europa and the Asturian coast.

The majority of our food we took with us and we topped up with fruit and veg in a supermarket a couple of times.

We very rarely eat or drink out, however, we had a great three course 'menu del dia' with wine in the plaza by Burgos cathedral on the way back. 22€.

Total for the holiday was 90€ for six nights on ACSI sites, 130€ for diesel, 28€ for the cable car at Fuente De and 22€ for the meal in Burgos.

We parked for free in the car park at the wonderful town of Burgo de Osma in Soria on the way there and back.

I don't count the other food as we'd have eaten the same at home!!

Whilst I will not pretend that I travel nearly as frequently as other members of this forum obviously do and therefore cannot really do an effective price comparison. However, I do always do a 3-4 week trip to Europe every summer. My holiday budget is broken down in to money for Diesel, Tolls, Food and Personal Expenses and generally this works out very well. I would normally load up before the holiday with enough food for the first 4-5 days and a decent supply of supermarket 'Rose'. This means that we save some of the first 5 days budget which can, if required, be carried over if needed for days when we decide to have a meal which costs a little above what we would usually want to pay. This year we will do the same thing with the breakdown of the budget but as we are using the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry (36 Hours) we will not be able to take as much meat and fresh produce as we would normally as the Fridge will defrost en-route. We are anticipating a daily budget of 80Euro's for our personal expenses and food and as quite a few days will be spent just lying on a beach we hope that this will be sufficient.

Big Momma - 2009-06-07 12:42 PM This year we will do the same thing with the breakdown of the budget but as we are using the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry (36 Hours) we will not be able to take as much meat and fresh produce as we would normally as the Fridge will defrost en-route.

Meat and fresh produce are cheaper in Spain than the UK.

I live in the centre of Exeter with more than 25 places to eat within 15 minutes walk. The cheapest usually is Weatherspoons, but we now refuse to eat out because of the cost. So what is so different about Europe? Hopefully we are off to France, north Spain to Portugal in mid September for as long as our budget allows. That seems to me to be the issue. We have so much money to spend and when that is gone we have to come home. Being frugal probably extends the time a little, but hey this is not a rehearsal, and as someone once said, "you can`t take it with you".

porky well fed (we all eat too much anyway) and happy to live modestly

For the last 7 years you have all paid more for food in restaurants in France than you should have done because the Germans' vetoed a pledge to the restaurant trade by President Chirac to cut VAT from 19.6% to 5.5%. That veto has at last been lifted.

So, from 1 July the VAT cut is expected to translate generally into a 10% reduction in the price of meals to diners, although some of the savings will go into investment and staffing. Under pressure from the Government, the trade has recently conceded that typically, plats du jour should benefit from the full reduction.

Ruddy typical, 1 July is the day we return from France - I would like to improve my sense of timing but hey, why change the habits of a lifetime? *-)

Bob

Well, it strikes me that fuel (diesel) is cheaper, the ferry is cheap - leaving on the 16th of July and returning on the 24th, with a 7.54m long x 3.2m high motorhome, the cost of that is £75. Aires are cheap and you can wild camp if needed - you can cook what you want in your motorhome and wine is definitely cheaper, by a good 50% on most bottles.

Eating out for us is reserved, even on holiday, for one or two days but not every day. There are plenty of attractions that are free to enter or ridiculously cheap.

We use the trips abroad to stock up on wine, to fill the motorhome with fuel at 13p a litre less than the UK (on a 75l tank, that's a few quid - enough for a bottle of plonk) and to see part of a new country.

Of course, French car boot sales have the opportunity for some interesting finds too, some of which can help pay for your holidays.

Also, why the fascination with toll roads - get off the beaten track - make the journey more interesting and see a part of Europe you otherwise wouldn't.

And, hey, most importantly, you're on holiday! Enjoy it and quit the moaning!

We found last year @ 1.25€ to the pound life was still bearable & cheaper that the UK.

What did hurt was the extra 6 grand the Motorhome cost due to exchange rate change between ordering & delivery.

We like to eat out it’s part of the holiday but it depends where we are, last year in Slovenia food in restaurants was not particularly good so we only ate out 3 times in 10 nights, the previous week in Germany we ate out 4 times in 6 nights. Nowdays In France we eat out only if we are feeling flush.

In March this year we went to Holland 1.05€ to the pound, that was painful only ate out once, 30 quid entry for 2 to van gof museum same for keukenhof gardens.

Off at the end of next week (20th) for 3 weeks plan is to visit Baltic Coast of Germany, that was last years plan but weather was so grot we got as far as Belgium then turned south & ended up in Slovenia.

If we stay in Germany will just about be bearable @ 1.15€ & may be able to afford to eat out.

Been in the centre of France for two weeks. Diesel as per Brian, Supermarkets usually cheaper. Eating out similar to last two years, have been back to the same restauraants, some cheaper, some more expensive best to have the set menus. Supermarket food up a little but many special offers. Bread, fruit and veg from local shops 10% higher in Euros this year. 2008 exchange rate 1.26 euros to the pound at the moment 1.16. But we do like the French way of life. Certainly a shortage of British motorhomes and caravans and many more Dutch.

Wills Wagon - 2009-06-12 6:08 PM

Been in the centre of France for two weeks. Diesel as per Brian, Supermarkets usually cheaper. Eating out similar to last two years, have been back to the same restauraants, some cheaper, some more expensive best to have the set menus. Supermarket food up a little but many special offers. Bread, fruit and veg from local shops 10% higher in Euros this year. 2008 exchange rate 1.26 euros to the pound at the moment 1.16. But we do like the French way of life. Certainly a shortage of British motorhomes and caravans and many more Dutch.

Thanks for those really useful snippets, we're heading over the water very soon.

"Diesel as per Brian", he's more influential than we think.......

Bob :-D

For the past 2 months we have been touring in Greece/Italy/and now in Cannes, if you average the diesel out it has been 1 euro a litre but hit any toll roads which some times we have to and the cost of travel shoots up.  Every where we have been we have eaten the local food buying in markets or stalls side of the road but it is definitely more expensive than the UK for food across the board even the price of the local vegetables is quite high but with camping cheques and some wild camping it is all within reasonable costs.The cost of eating out and even a coffee soon pushes the cost up with the average cup of coffee 2 euros.  But we take a flask and cold drinks in the saddle bag on the bikes usually a picnic and with the added bonus of only seeing 2 half days of rain in  9 weeks got to be worth the effort.  Carol

Hello all!

Just got back from France and this weekend the prices for Diesel were quite consistently 1.12E with a notable exception on the motorway near Charles de Gaulle, Paris where they were asking 1.36E !

Beer in the Disney resort where we had to go was 6.80E for nearly a pint and away from there more like 5E

Cigarettes are not much cheaper than UK on the ferries any more but cigars were almost half the price. Beer is not a bargain either but P&O shops are selling 6 bottles of good red or white wine for £12.00

Damned expensive 3 days all in all but had a great time as long as the speed camera on the N1 did not get me :$

Diesel has been a consistant 0.97/98 cts a litre at all the supermarkets recently. Obviously Independent Petrol Stations are going to be more expensive.

As far as cigarettes are concerned, they are expensive but loose tobacco isn't. If you go to a local Newsagent/Tabac you will get them cheaper than on the ferries.

Wine - well everyones taste is different, but what you get on the ferries will not be likely to be sold in Supermarkets in France. Mutant Supermarket has a very wide choice of wines at very reasonable prices and, of course, you have the Vrac shops where you can have your own bottles or container filled with a wine you have tasted there, they will also sell it to you in their own containers, i.e. 10 litres of good Bordeaux Red will be approximately 12 euros.

Don Madge - 2009-06-06 6:21 PM There are many full timers suffering very badly at present. We have friends who sold up and started full timing about five years ago, they had a very good life style until last year. They are now on a very limited income and in fact have now started to eat into their capital. They are in Portugal at present and can't really afford to bring the van back to the UK for its annual service and MOT. In their own words they have joined the growing band of "Free Loaders" who are at their wits end worrying how things will turn out. What was paradise five years ago is slowly turning into a nightmare. Don

Don, it's not just the 'full timing MH's' in 2004 my wife bought a place in Czechland and we were getting 44 Kcs to the £ and at one point last year we got 23 Kcs to the £

That means that everything then cost nearly double what it was four years ago. We are not eating into capitol (yet) but have had to cut back on lots of things but not compaining 'cos people in England are having to cut back too but if you went into Tesco and found the price of everything had almost doubled overnight it would be a shock wouldn't it?

ETA :-

The E/rate has improved a bit since last year but it will be a long time before we see 44Kcs to the £ again!!

Archived