What's a B Class?

Ned Swift

Hi Ned, and for anyone who's not sure of the standard types, this is my understanding:

'A class' is where the body is a completely replaced with a purpose made one and generally no remenant of the original body remains.

'B class' is a term used to describe a van conversion, where most if not all of the original vehicle bodywork is kept. Americans usually refer to van conversions as this.

'C class' is a motorhome with a coachbuilt rear, but keeping the original cab and can be either low profile, low line, or overcab.

Guest JudgeMental

Unless you are thinking specifically about a Hymer B class? as these are really an A class

adding to Mel's definitions: there is also the "van" class. not to be confused with the PVC class (Panel Van Conversions)

The "van" class are compact coachbuilts, which have become very popular in the last 2 years.

Ned ... it would've help had you said the 'H' word! Being a mere mortal I naturally though of the bigger picture rather than being in the blinkered world of Hymer! :D

I can think of other meanings for A, B and C class motorhomes but I don't think they're printable!!! 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2009-06-06 8:50 PM

Ned ... it would've help had you said the 'H' word! Being a mere mortal I naturally though of the bigger picture rather than being in the blinkered world of Hymer! :D

I can think of other meanings for A, B and C class motorhomes but I don't think they're printable!!! 8-)

Swift by name not by nature..........More to be pitied then scorned :-D

There are two types of Hymer B A-classes. One is the Classic, now called the CL, and the other is the time served B class, now called the SL. The CL is cheaper. In the past, the CL lacked the double floor and other touches but the build quality was typical Hymer. 

I've has the SL for 5 years now and it has never put a foot wrong, neither has Hymer UK who often get tarnished by comments about their parent company, Brownhills. I describe my Hymer as boringly competent - typical of many German products. It lacks soul - and faults!

Hymer call their A-classes 'integrated' so a Hymer B Class is an A-class or integrated motorhome. I think the EU should standardise the motorhome classes - much more useful than some of the other whizzo wheezes they come up with.

Thanks Brock, yes it is a bit confusing, perhaps Hymer are the only B class manufacturers then. I didn't want to limit the topic to that though, so left it open.

It doesn't really matter anyway as they are what they are regardless of what people class them as, just was a bit confused. Hymers seem to go on forever though, there are loads of older ones on the roads and they seem to drive great loyalty from their owners.

Unlike what must be (oo let's guess) 70% of current production motorhomes on a sevel cab - their owners on here don't seem as chuffed.

I think though that the success of A (and B class) motorhomes is that they must be more suitable for the job (as being created for this purpose) rather than a van cab mating a caravan when inherently their two purposes in life are very different.

Thanks Fred for your comment, if you ever get to Brtains Got Talent it won't just be Alice voting for you ! (!)

And Judge me old fruit, Swift is the name of a Bird you know, like Alice then...

Upper Class Ned :-> :-> :->

Guest Tracker
I suppose it is to be expected that a major dealer of Ned's standing wouldn't have the first idea what all the various van classifications meant - perhaps he was trained by one of the largest dealers in the UK?

Archived