spider like crazing on roof

Imlach

I have three areas of spider like crazing on the roof of my roller team motorhome has anybody any idea how it is caused at what it is, the areas are quite visable to the eye but have no depth to them, it seems to be in the gell coat, all that is on the inside of the roof is the lining there seems to be no fixings, can anybody throw any light on the subject regards Imlach

Hi Imlach and welcome to the mad house. :->

It could well be that sandwiched between the outer and inner layers there is a fixing of some sort that has, over time, been putting pressure on those areas and the pressure has caused the outer to flex more than it was intended, hence the crazing. There are ways to cosmetically fix it and I'm sure some of the others on here will be able to advise the best way to do this.

It could be that the local pigeons have been doing a clog dance too! (lol)

The crazing is indeed the Gel coat cracking and the gel coat is to provide a waterproof barrier (A bit like paint) it also makes it look pretty. The problem is that if water gets into the fibres of glass (Actually Glass Reinforced Plastic) then the water is wicked into the GRP and can freeze in winter causing more problems. My new A/S coachbuilt has a 5 inch diameter star and my dealer will ( I hope) be seeking a warrenty repair.

So in summary - get it fixed ASAP

Mike

Archived