Transit Mk7 Leak from fuel sender unit

mike 202

On my A/S Transit Mk7 when the tank was filled to the click stop at the pump fuel leaked from the sender unit. The Eberspacher was removed at the factory and the diesel feed pipe capped off. Ford found that this 2nd feed had a split and fitted a new sender unit.

However when I recently filled the tank to full, a small amount of fuel still leaked from the tank until 10-15 litres had been used. After this all was dry, so I am guessing that the sender unit does not have a perfect seal.

Should it be totally sealed or is it a known fault and I have to put up with the leak ?

Any comments will be much appreciated before I approach Ford.

Thanks in anticipation.

When the new sender unit has been fitted they have not sealed properly. Possibly they reused the old seal which is very naughty of them if they did, or one of the fuel hoses has not been put on properly. These tend to be just the plastic pipes warmed up and pushed on and unless they know what they are doing can be difficult to reseal. Usually best to cut back a bit and insert a rubber fuel pipe with clamps.

It certainly should seal and not have any leaks so I would go back to who fitted the new sender.

Thanks Brambles, it was Hendy Ford a large Ford main dealership and to date they have been helpfull. The van is still only 10 months old, so I will do as you say. At least I now have a better idea as to what to say to them.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brambles - you were spot on with your diagnosis about the dealer using the old seal. Had my MH in at Ford today and they told me that the fuel was leaking from the sender unit seal which was faulty.

Well done

Regards Mike

Archived