Braked A frame

hymer1942

You'll definitely need a braked A frame and possible something like a brake buddy etc - some more 'experienced' people will advise I'm sure but as far as I know with the weight of the Matiz (over 750kg) plus the A frame, it will necessitate it having to be braked.

As a start, I'd suggest using the search facility above.  Select motorhome matters as the forum to search, enter "A frame" as the keyword to search, and set time to one year.  You will find numerous posts with questions and lengthy answers on the legality and desirability, or otherwise, of various ways of towing a small car with a motorhome.

Failing that, I think it reasonable to summarise the outcome as being that there are potential technical and legal snags to A frames, even the braked ones (the unbraked variety definitely being illegal for general towing), and that the best answer, overall, taking account of all then known difficulties, is to tow the car on a flat bed trailer.

Have not got a car yet, but am looking for a Matiz. I agree with what you say about the trailer, but witha trailer also comes a downside.

"A" More space needed on site.

"B" And the obvious one more wieght

And for those 2 reasons was considering "A" frame.

Barrie.

I brought an A frame from the chaps from car a tow

http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/acatalog/Towing_Frames.html

Picked it up from them at the Newbury show & with a hand scribbled set of fitting instructions from them fitted it to my Matiz in less than a day

Its a good company to deal with

No problems fitting it to the Matiz the front of the car comes off easily & it’s just a matter of drilling some holes and bolting it on & connecting the electrics if you’re practical no probs

Its just a matter of hitching it up to the motorhome and off you go

There is a simple braking system supplied with it

And it’s a job to know it’s on the motor home when pulling it

The Matiz is a great little run about & has the benifit of being a four door

I would recomend both car & tow frame

hymer 1942

I too brought from Car A Tow excellent bit of kit. Check the brake light on your Matiz to see if they operate with the ignition off, if they do you will need a one-way 3 amp diode in the Matiz braked wiring connection, this will stop it feeding back to the motorhome system. You can get the from Maplins part no QLB1 1N5400 21 pence

Archived