Water pump not working

J9withdogs

Where's the first place I should look for the fault?

All of the other internal electrics seem to be working - lights, water meter etc - on the same control panel.

I've hooked up to the mains to make sure it's not a battery problem.

It was working fine last time I went away a couple of weeks ago, now it's just dead as a dodo.

Guest JudgeMental

open a tap and see if you have 12v supply at pump?

someone who knows what's best to do will be along soon:-D

Guest Tracker

If is is a glass fuse you should be able to see two things. One is whether it has blown or not by the filament inside it and two is the amp rating to help you get the right one to fit after finding out from the book what amp rating it should be.

You might try a household 13amp fuse as a temporary measure - some fit - some don't - unless its a very small glass fuse in which case try a length of fuse wire wrapped around it?

You could even try a short screw (no, not that kind) in place of the fuse - but only to discover if it is the fuse or not.

But why did it blow - if it blew

Ok - I managed to get a glass fuse from the local garage. They even got the rust off it first!

Fitted that but still nothing so I think maybe there was another problem which made the fuse blow in the first place.

I had unscrewed the tap on the kitchen sink to fit a new washer as the surface water was running through the hole and down the outside of the pipe, but I can't see anything electrical which would cause a problem. The pump only works on drop in water pressure, doesn't it?

Guest Tracker

Not sure whether your van has the pump activated by a micro switch on the tap or in the pump?

Are there any loose leads dangling around under the tap and does the tap have any connecting terminals on it?

If not it is probably pump activated by the fall in pressure that occurs when the tap is opened and cuts out when the closing tap causes the water pressure to increase.

Has the new fuse blown?

Do you have a test meter and, without wishing to be being rude, would you know how to check for 12 volts at the pump?

had the same happen to me and went to the expense of having a new pump fitted.However, when the new pump did the same thing first time out I got a little suspicious. There was no problem, with the pump that is On my control panel there are 3 settings, Internal Pump, External Pump and both. The setting was on external pump !! I changed the setting and hey presto ! now I have a spare water pump as well. Well you learn as you go along don't you :$

Tracker - 2009-06-09 4:49 PM

Not sure whether your van has the pump activated by a micro switch on the tap or in the pump?

Are there any loose leads dangling around under the tap and does the tap have any connecting terminals on it?

If not it is probably pump activated by the fall in pressure that occurs when the tap is opened and cuts out when the closing tap causes the water pressure to increase.

Has the new fuse blown?

Do you have a test meter and, without wishing to be being rude, would you know how to check for 12 volts at the pump?

No electrical connectors on the tap as far as I can see - I couldn't get the tap off completely so did a bit of a bodge-job with the washer :$ and I seem to remember being told that it's pressure activated.

I don't have a test meter so I will leave that one for the experts.

Big Momma - mine's not so sophisticated as that!

The van's 15 years old, so I guess the pump is too. It's probably just died of old-age :'(

J9withdogs - 2009-06-09 5:01 PM

Big Momma - mine's not so sophisticated as that!

The van's 15 years old, so I guess the pump is too. It's probably just died of old-age :'(

So you will be looking to get a hold of a new pump on the cheap then :D :D

Guest Tracker

One of the first rules of engineering is that when something fails to work after you have 'fixed' it when it was working before you 'fixed' it- always suspect the work you did last?

Did it work OK after the repair - or did you not test it?

On the bright side - at least the tap ain't leaking now!

Does everything else 12v work OK and is there anything else that runs off the same fuse as the pump that you can check to help isolate the problem?

Only finished the 'repair' today and it didn't work afterwards. (But I don't know for sure that it worked immediately before either! Its been a few weeks since I used the van)

Everything else on the same zig board works. The fuse is directly behind the pump and had definitely blown.

Janine

I just wonder if you jiggling the tap around caused the wires to move and come apart slightly, causing the fuse to blow in the process. Have a look at all the connections on the electrics to/from the tap and see if any of them are loose.

We used to have an alarm on our Rapido and it often used to play up, eventually I managed to track it down to a fuse holder which wasn't tight enough and the blade fuse kept moving about (they don't half hide them well ... took me hours to find the ruddy thing and I only managed that with one last look after dark with a torch when it 'glinted' in the beam!).

I'm not on about being 'attached' to the tap, I just mean if there were any in the vicinity of the tap or it's pipes that may have been knocked and therefore come loose ... I know you like to have a good jiggle with dangly things! 8-) ;-)

Guest Tracker

These pumps - Shurflo? maybe - are very reliable - usually - and whilst it is not unknown for them to fail I would suspect everything else before blaming the pump - and even if it is the pump it may only be the pressure switch and not the whole thingy.

Dave will soon be able to tell you!

J9withdogs - 2009-06-09 6:57 PM

Are there any wires? I don't think there are any going up to the tap; it's just the opening of the tap that causes the pump to start working.

Assuming the pump is electrically operated ( can't think of any other way off hand that it would work) the "opening of the tap" must make an electrical connection somewhere ?

Must be some wires tucked away there in the cupboard.

( Behind your shoes ????)

Good luck with your investigations.

;-)

Hi Janine, No Technical advice , but just try the old fashioned way, Make sure there is water available at the pump open the tap and give the pump a couple of sharp knocks just to make sure its not stuck. worth a try and doesn't cost anything but time.

Hi! I have recently replaced the water pump on my Hymer - the test regimen that I went through is the same for any pump and having read through all the replies to your query I would try the following: first check the pump is eartherd and then look for the little filter on or near the pump, clean if necessary and tap the pump with something hard and try the switch. No go?, then take a length of dual core wire, remove the feeder wires running from the switch(es) into the terminal nearest to the pump (usually only a short distance from the location of the pump itself) and insert the ends of your dual core wire in their place. Then touch the other ends of the wire onto the terminals of your leisure battery/a slave battery/the vehicle's main battery - if the pump runs it is a circuit fault and you will need to check all connections between the pump any power switch (tap etc) that fails to get the pump going. If the pump doesnt run you need to buy a new one.

Good luck.

Archived