Charging 12v leisure batteries from a 24v base vehicle

Guest Bill

I’ve just bought a motorhome based on a Mercedes 709D, which has a 24v electrical system. The leisure battery is 12v, and is not charged from the engine but by two solar panels, or from the hookup. How difficult/expensive would it be to arrange for the leisure batteries to be charged from the 24v system? The 3-way fridge is not connected for 12v operation, and the seller told me he managed fine by leaving it on gas while on the move, but I’m a bit worried about the safety aspects; also I believe it is illegal in some countries. It would be easy enough to connect up the 12v to the fridge but if I were to run the fridge off 12v with only the solar panels for input I fear they wouldn’t be able to keep up.

I would certainly do something to enable both the fridge and the leisure battery to be charged by the prime mover. Outlets selling devices for lorry drivers (Like Truck King for example) do sell switch mode voltage reducers which reduce the nominal 24 volt supply down to 13.8 volts. This together with a pair of 24 volt relays would enable you to put together a workable system. Another posibility is to fit a second 12 volt alternator in the engine bay. It is probably not as complicated as you might think and in this case the second alternator can charge the leisure battery directly and via a 12 volt relay run the fridge as well. You have lots of options, these are just the first two off the top of my head. Good luck and let us know what you do.

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Hi Bill First for SAFETY reasons you should not run any thing on gas while travelling Dont know about the legal implications What Clive suggests about fitting a second 12V alternator sounds a good one My other thought would be some thing lke the voltage reducer

Guest Yorkshire Tyke
Hi Bill First for SAFETY reasons you should not run any thing on gas while travelling Dont know about the legal implications What Clive suggests about fitting a second 12V alternator sounds a good one My other thought would be some thing lke the voltage reducer

Archived