Autosleeper to stop using Transit ??

mike 202

I have just been told by a Marquis salesman that Ford are stopping the production of rear wheel Transits and that Autosleeper will stop using Ford transit because their A/S range is built on Rear Wheel Drive. FWD is of no use to them.

Is the salesman correct ?. I was going to change my current A/S to a larger model again A/S based on Transit RWD, but was told that I would have to buy on Mercedes chassis if I refused to consider Fiat.

Hope this isn't true. Roxie is FWD, but when I retire in 8yrs time, and no longer need my MH to be a "car," I want to buy a small coachbuilt, possible circa 2010, on a RWD Ford. I'd be very disappointed if they stopped making them in the meantime! :'(

Guest peter
I think you'll find it's because of the long lead time for the Ford. Burstner are dropping Ford for this same reason.

duetto owner - 2009-06-14 5:53 PM

just got a duetto from marquis they said next delivery of fords to A/S was not till late autumn due to a large demand for ford transits.

would be surprised if ford dropped such a popular RWD.

is it sales pitch

The Transit plant (Southampton) has been on a shorter working week due to lack of demand.

I'd be surprised if Marquis don't know that.

duetto owner - 2009-06-14 10:28 PM lost whats the "long lead time " mean

"Lead time" is the time between you (the customer) placing the order and the manufacturer being able to supply and deliver to your specification.

If you order a product that is already built to your spec, then the "lead time" will be a couple of weeks whereas if you order a product with all "bells and whistles" as extras then the lead time could be a matter of months.

At the moment the Transit is on a long "lead time" due to a combination of high demand and manufacturers reducing production due to the current economic climate.   

Seems that stories do not match up, on one hand Ford production has been reduced due to lack of demand, on the other hand converters cannot get enough Transits so will be dropping them. I am confused, maybee it is the magic of lead times ???

mike 202 - 2009-06-14 4:35 PM

I have just been told by a Marquis salesman that Ford are stopping the production of rear wheel Transits and that Autosleeper will stop using Ford transit because their A/S range is built on Rear Wheel Drive. FWD is of no use to them.

Is the salesman correct ?. I was going to change my current A/S to a larger model again A/S based on Transit RWD, but was told that I would have to buy on Mercedes chassis if I refused to consider Fiat.

What doe's A/Sleeper say, Anyone know.

(!)

Dave

Hi In April I talked to A/S Rep. re. delivery of Ford chassis, was told it takes 3 months from ordering the chassis from Ford to be delivered to them, then they have to build the motorhome onto it. They (A/S) don't keep chassis's in stock because of the capital involved.

Regards Marcob

mike 202 - 2009-06-14 4:35 PM

Might it just be that the "Marquis" badged Autosleepers are on the Mercedes chassis. It may be that they have stock of their models, they would prefer to shift today rather than wait for a possible sale in XX weeks time. Much better for their cash flow and reduces committed stock of this years models.

Also it's likely they have a bigger margin on their own badged models.

Flicka

malc d - 2009-06-14 10:39 PM

duetto owner - 2009-06-14 5:53 PM

just got a duetto from marquis they said next delivery of fords to A/S was not till late autumn due to a large demand for ford transits.

would be surprised if ford dropped such a popular RWD.

is it sales pitch

The Transit plant (Southampton) has been on a shorter working week due to lack of demand.

I'd be surprised if Marquis don't know that.

Transits not only made in Southampton, mine was made in Genk. Also made in Turkey I believe. Mike.

That is quite correct, all Transit production has now moved from Southampton to Turkey and there have been delays with getting the production up to speed because no-one knows what speed that will be at the moment. Also many fleet buyers are quite bitter about the change because the prices keep going up due to the ex-works price being changed to euros instead of pounds and has been out of control of late.

All european makers have had to increase prices because of the euro/pound but what is the betting that the prices are not going to follow the lower euro any time soon?

Nick

My FWD tranny has done over 10000 hard miles (heavy boot on right foot!) in 3 and a half years without skipping a beat.

Clive, please tell me what's wrong with it so I can worry about it as I bowl along. Should I replace it tomorrow to be on the safe side? :-(

Archived