Autosleeper to stop using Transit ??

mike 202

I am just about to purchase a new 2008 build Ford transit RWD Autosleepers Wilton Motorhome from Marquis. The vehicle has been returned to the factory for bodywork issues to be resolved. Now I have read the rumours that Autosleepers may be subject to a management buyout, and the possible ceasing of production of the Transit I am considering cancelling the order. If anyone has photos of an example of this vehicle I would be obliged, I cannot find anyone with an example to compare to my intended purchase, with a view to checking build quality etc.

So, have any of you ardent speculators with an interest in Autosleepers and Transits yet done the obvious thing, and spoken to the bleedin' oracle?  (For those not quite firing on all four, the oracle, in this case will be Autosleepers.  :-))

In both cases, they will be the only people who will actually know their intentions for the future.  Until this is done, all further comment is pointless.  So, c'mon, chop, chop!

Thanks for that Henry. I have contacted A/S but as yet have received no reply. A/S according to another website have had a management buyout, so perhaps this is good news. If my van is rectified to the high standard expected and everything falls into place we will probably still purchase it.

As we are spending in excess of £44,000 I feel we must be left with no nagging doubts about anything! Kind regards, Heppy

As Ford's recently introduced 3.2litre 5-cylinder motor (see page 29 of MMM June 2009) is only offered on RWD Transits, it would be very odd indeed if Ford had suddenly decided to cease production of ALL RWD models.

However, it could be that Ford might be choosing to rationalise its Transit range and drop the RWD chassis-cab with 'single wheel' rear axle and lowered floor-height that Auto-Sleepers has traditionally built on. This would make some business sense as Auto-Sleepers is the only motorhome constructer employing this particular chassis in RHD form. Continental motorhome manufacturers, for coachbuilt models, seem either to use a 'twinned wheel' rear axle version of the RWD Transit chassis-cab, or a FWD platform-cab chassis.

(By the way, I assume forum members are aware that revised Euro 5-compliant Mercedes Sprinter motors have just been released.)

Only 10,000 miles Mike. I'm hoping to live long enough to get to 100,000 miles, another 30 years would do me nicely!

I'm just curious to know all the 'disadvantages' I am likely to encounter along the way, so come on Clive, spill the beans... :-S

There's no doubt about the Auto-Sleepers management buy-out - see the following for fuller details:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-67596-days0-orderasc-0.html

Regarding the rumoured cessation of A-S production of Transit-based motorhomes, if A-S does not wish to confirm or deny this at this stage (and I can well understand them not revealing the company's future plans), it may be possible to obtain more information about Transit production via the Ford Transit forum:

http://fordtransit.org/forum/

As I suggested earlier, I don't think there is any chance that Ford will stop producing RWD Transits and concentrate instead on FWD versions. RWD has always been a major selling point for Transits and FWD will be unattractive to (and unsuitable for) many potential Transit buyers.

Personally, I can't see much advantage in RWD rather than FWD for relatively small motorhomes (say sub-6.5m in length), unless the owner wishes to tow or requires an unusually high rear-axle load-carrying capacity.

Archived