collaspable buckets

yeti

Some time ago the source was Woolies, who are no more.

Anyone have any idea where these can now be bought cheaply? I have seen some in marine shops for up to £12!

Any advice such as Wilkinsons Etc. would be gratefuly received.

messerschmitt owner - 2009-06-15 11:18 AM

I find searching for 'collapsible bucket' on google a sure-fire way of finding such items for sale!

amazingly, such things can be found on the interweb thingie.

It's true, it sounds like you're being churlish to suggest it, but you really don't need to ask questions anymore about individual items, just bung it in Google.

It, (Google), I believe has changed the way it performs it's searches.

Martyn

Martyn,

I'm trying not to be churlish or even rude, but it irks me that someone posts something up, then we all go look on google and give them the results of our search, when they could so easily have done it themselves.

There is nothing that cannot be found using sensible key words anymore.

I find that the access to so much information has actually made people lazier in a bad way. A search for collapsible bucket on google would have taken less time than the posting of the post on here, and would have been more useful.

Advice on which collapsible bucket to buy, of course, is a different matter, and that we are all qualified to do - after all, it is our opinions that matter and that can sway someone to buy one collapsible bucket over another.

I am a moderator on a smart car forum and the amounts of times people post asking where to get a bespoke smart car part from is unbelievable, considering the manufacturer should be the first port of call, then GSF or similar.

Hi Campbell, (apologies Will (Yeti), for clogging your thread), I couldn't agree with you more.

An example I saw on here recently was a reasonable enough request for a camping location. The usual helpful answers followed but b****r me if the same person then went & asked if we could provide details of the site fees!!

That's taking the biscuit in my opinion..

Rant over :D

Guest JudgeMental
LordThornber - 2009-06-15 11:59 AM

An example I saw on here recently was a reasonable enough request for a camping location. The usual helpful answers followed but b****r me if the same person then went & asked if we could provide details of the site fees!!

If thats a dig at me maybe I will explain.........I had already found the websites thank you so it was not laziness, but I could not interpret the pricing, as the site was poorly laid out and my eyes are worse still (will probably loose my 3 year licence in February as consultant says I am now borderline*-))

I answered a thread yesterday, looking for sites in the isle of wight.....while I take the general drift of the responses on here I dont agree with the miserable tone, I will continue along with most on here to be helpful when we can without being judgemental.

As for foaldable buckets. If your storage is so tight that you cant carry a few stacked plastic buckets maybe time to look for a more practical motorhome. :-D

JudgeMental - 2009-06-15 2:37 PM

If thats a dig at me maybe I will explain.........I had already found the websites thank you so it was not laziness, but I could not interpret the pricing, as the site was poorly laid out and my eyes are worse still (will probably loose my 3 year licence in February as consultant says I am now borderline*-))

I answered a thread yesterday, looking for sites in the isle of wight.....while I take the general drift of the responses on here I dont agree with the miserable tone, I will continue along with most on here to be helpful when we can without being judgemental.

As for foaldable buckets. If your storage is so tight that you cant carry a few stacked plastic buckets maybe time to look for a more practical motorhome. :-D

You're the one who is always JudgeMental on this forum.

;-)

JudgeMental - 2009-06-15 2:37 PM

Eddie, obviously I've touched a nerve with you on this and for that, I'm sorry.

However, it was NOT you to whom I was referring. It wasn't even a "dig" at the other poster it was merely an observation.

I'll explain further. A request was made for info, X number of responses were posted and the original question had been answered. But then the poster made an extra request, (which was barely M'home related), the answer was easily obtained by posting the very same request into Google.

I know, I looked out of sheer exasperation. Or nosiness..

Martyn

Thank you to all those who responded in such a positive way,I will certainly follow them up. They are required for an expedition I am undertaking to Mongolia and we have just been informed of shortage of items and a lower weight limit on airline.

I would not have posted this if my attempts at searching on Google had only produce the ones mentioned in marine chandlers.

To the smart alec answers thank you also to advising me what to do already. After being an expedition organiser for 30 years I feel by now I may know my way around sources for items,but as my dear dad always told me "if you don't know ask"

Guest JudgeMental
yeti - 2009-06-15 3:02 PM

Thank you to all those who responded in such a positive way,I will certainly follow them up. They are required for an expedition I am undertaking to Mongolia "

In an X250? are you hoping to return? :-D

when I did my link - you know, the one above ;) - the first result is for that great ships' chandlers, Amazon, the second for Ebay, another well-known chandlers and the third for a mail order company who sells nautical gifts. Not a chandler in sight! ;-)

I too have spent thirty years spending my time looking for the unusual and sometimes downright rare - and yes, asking is fine, but when the question asked can be answered so readily and accurately by two simple keywords (the generic name of the product) then you can understand the grumpy response. As you so eloquently put in your sig you are also a grumpy old man *-) and therefore must understand my frustration at your lack of ability to use the internet at its most basic level. ;-)

Please note the smileys used here - my reply is as tongue in cheek as I, a learner grumpy old man, can make it!

Have fun on the expedition - and good luck in the bucket search. :)

;-)

JudgeMental - 2009-06-15 3:08 PM

Thank you to all those who responded in such a positive way,I will certainly follow them up. They are required for an expedition I am undertaking to Mongolia "

In an X250? are you hoping to return? :-D

NO CHANCE. Although We are flying at one point my Mongolian airaways!!! Which may be as bad.

Thanks Messersmitt man apologies for grabbing wrong end of stick.

In my youth I had an Isetta,I wish I had it now,

Last word from me on this one...

Unhelpful is not a word that's in my vocabulary. I was simply sharing information to achieve possibly a better result, well that was my intention anyway. Not everyone, (myself included occasionally) automatically thinks of using a search engine as a question & answer tool.

Good luck with the trip Will.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2009-06-15 11:28 AM

messerschmitt owner - 2009-06-15 11:18 AM

I find searching for 'collapsible bucket' on google a sure-fire way of finding such items for sale!

amazingly, such things can be found on the interweb thingie.

It's true, it sounds like you're being churlish to suggest it, but you really don't need to ask questions anymore about individual items, just bung it in Google.

It, (Google), I believe has changed the way it performs it's searches.

Martyn

Martyn,

If everything can be found on search engines, why do we need forums. My own answer is that it brings a personal touch and a good bit of banter + a bit of aggro sometimes (Great Stuff) :-D

Dave

Dave

I think forums are great for recommendations, tips and advice from people who've been there, done it and even have the t-shirt (not so good for opinions, thoughts and concepts which can be taken more than one way by the reader), but search engines are there to answer the simple questions - like where to find a bucket, or for adverts, etc.

We need them both, but sensible use of either means a better and more sensible forum for us all.

Thank you to all those who responded in such a positive way,I will certainly follow them up. They are required for an expedition I am undertaking to Mongolia and we have just been informed of shortage of items and a lower weight limit on airline.

I would not have posted this if my attempts at searching on Google had only produce the ones mentioned in marine chandlers.

To the smart alec answers thank you also to advising me what to do already. After being an expedition organiser for 30 years I feel by now I may know my way around sources for items,but as my dear dad always told me "if you don't know ask"

Yeti ... I think I might have spotted why you didn't get much on the internet search ... I think you need to work on your spelling of "collapsible bucket" (see thread name!). :D ;-)

messerschmitt owner - 2009-06-15 5:27 PM

Dave

I think forums are great for recommendations, tips and advice from people who've been there, done it and even have the t-shirt (not so good for opinions, thoughts and concepts which can be taken more than one way by the reader), but search engines are there to answer the simple questions - like where to find a bucket, or for adverts, etc.

We need them both, but sensible use of either means a better and more sensible forum for us all.

Could not agree more , But some people need to be led (SO FOLLOW ME) :D

Dave

OK Guys to prevent you all going completely off topic,I have now located some buckets from the many leads you all gave me,thank you.

I am calling it a day and suggest you all do the same. ;-)

Thanks for that info,we have a Poundland in town so I will have a look.

I want to keep cost as low as possible as we are going to dump them afterwards.

I was looking at cutting down 20litre plastic bladders that are used to supply saline solution to medical labs,but someone has told me they don't use it any more. Anybody working in haematology may be able to confirm or deny this fact. The solution is Isoton used for Coulter machines.

Many years ago my source at the time got me some for the same use on an expedition to Egypt.

We got ours from Robinson's, £6.35 for a set of three, each has a storage case too. They are a canvas type, when you uncollapse them they will stand up. The two bigger ones probably average about a gallon each. We use them to empty our grey water tank if it's full light comes on and we don't want to move the van.

http://www.robinsons-uk.com/products/search.asp?keyword=buckets&x=43&y=6&page=2#sku.44979

Archived