France Advice Challenge!

MotoHomer

Having followed the recent thread with interest, here's my own request for some advice please.

We've not visited France before but would like to go. Problem is we like things quiet both on site and on the road, and not too hot ............... and we would be going late July and into August.

I know you all like a challenge so if any kind souls out there can come up with any suggestions as to what area(s) we might best aim for we'd be really grateful. We're not into beach hols by the way.

We're also very keen cyclists and this is what we'd be aiming to do mostly. so if there's any Lycrophiles with any ideas on this score we'd love to hear from you. We like hills but suspect that, apart from fitness issues, the Pyrenees/Alps/Massif Central might not fit our earlier criteria!

Fussy? Guilty as charged.

OK, I'll go first.

Head for Royan, then use the ferry to cross over to le Verdon-sur-Mer. Then you can explore the Medoc peninsula. Yes, there are beaches, but there are also quiet towns, villages and vineyards - even in August, when we went last summer. There are Aires and France Passion locations, and if you need a big town you can trot down to Bordeaux.

OK, who's next?

Good suggestion from Tony but the problem you may have is the weather you require. It can get very warm in our region in late July/August although it could be cooler near the coast. If you dont like the heat then I suggest that you look at Northern France, ie the Brittany coastline. Hope you enjoy France wherever you holiday. Martin.

have a look at Annecy in the Alps. I know you said no mountains but theres a great flat cycle/walking track along th ewestern side of the lake. There are some lovely quieter campsites too. Also a bit cooler in the mountains. On route you could try Burgundy and the Jura, less hilly, lovely scenery and wines. Excellent cycling country

Guest JudgeMental

France is very cycle friendly with lots of safe and enjoyable routes. As for the weather who knows! but last year France had a bad summer like here. we were in the Loire at whitsun and it was beautiful with great cycling. call into tourist offices and ask for cycle routes they are freely available.

My recommendation for newbies:

You could tour and cycle along the Loire, Plenty of Aires and cheap municipal sites and it's beautiful:

Blois- Ambrose- Azay-le-Rideeu - Saumur.......

Then onto the Vendee coast... down to La Rochelle and across to the Island of Ile de Rae where cycling routes criss cross the island :-D

NEXT! :-D

Brittany is a good suggestion, you don't have to spend time lounging about on the beaches, but there are some lovely interesting ones to explore - a visit to Ploumanach is a must to see the rock formations - it's like it's been created by Disney! Generally it is quite Brit friendly so should be a good place to have your first foray.

If you pm me with your email I can send you some brief 'diaries' that I've done of where we've been and what we got up to since 2005, which might give you some ideas, not only of Brittany, but other areas of France too.

A good municipal site East of Troyes @ Geraudot in La Foret D'Orient, Modern toilet/shower block and laundry. Decent size pitches with hook up if required. Also a Arie just as you are entering the lane for the site. Two big lakes and one smaller one plus the forest to explore, and very good for cycles. The site is a gentle days drive from Calais

Another site is the municipal site at Revin in the French part of the Ardennes, same facilities as above and next to the river Meuse. Good cycling there to. I think at that time of the year you will have to expect children on any site because of school holidays but both these site's were good and reasonably quiet when we visited them.

Dave

As the Judge doth sayeth NEXT

We did the Ille de Oleron on the Vendee last year and found that very cycle friendly and a plethora of sites and a few aires as well we were well smitten with the place...give it a whirl..we'll be there for most of August

I'd go with JudgeMental, the Vendee is good for cycling (and fishing), La Rochelle is a nice city and you can park on the park & ride cheaply for 24 hours with an included free ride into town. Even though you don't do beaches they do make for a relaxing day occasionally and there are some good ones, again with a good selection of aires. And it's not too far from the Chanel ports, important with the cost of derv.

St gengoux Le National is a village in the Burgundy region, (see page 88, no. 2 Edition 2 "All the Aires Book"). It has a fantastic aire that is right on the cycle route, (The picture doesn't do it justice and heaven only knows why it's not designated one of their "pretty aires!) There is a shop where you can hire bikes or stuff and then set off in either direction along an old railway line,dedicated as a cycle, bridle and walking route. From memory it is over 100Kms long and has many towns and villages along it.

You can stay at the aire for 72 hours for free and there is even free electric to charge your batteries if you need it.

hi motohomer

in 2000 we spent july & august on a municipal campsite at andelot, haute marne region (52)

the site has about 60 pitches and never got to half full. we don't like it too hot either and the weather was good.

site is in a valley alongside the river rognon. kingfishers on the river buzzards overhead on the thermals. great area for cycling & walking.

if you want to try aires you will be spoilt for choice. there is a canal running south from joinville to chaumont with half a dozen canalside aires to try.

if you have a good head for heights ( i don't ) try a walk across the viaduct in chaumont.

only reason i haven't returned to the site is that i mostly wild camp these days. i do return to the area though on nearly every trip under the water even if it's just for a week on the way back from italy or portugal in the spring.

Archived