windbreak versus awning

trickydicky

hi, have got a autotrail cheyenne 630 and am looking for some sort of awning.only problem is we are always on the move.was thinking of a safari room / driveaway movelite, but have now thought of just buying a good quality windbreak (long as possible) with windows,and a groundsheet and along with my canopy,hey presto an awning (of sorts) that is easy is put up and even easier to take down, and of course a lot cheaper. as we are complete novices to this motorhoming business i would like your thoughts on this idea. we realise it wouldn't be completely rain/wind proof but can't think of any other reason not to take this route.any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Hi again TD! :-D

That's exactly what we do, although we don't generally bother with the ground sheet as it is usuall okay.

Something like this should do:

wind break 1

or this

wind break 2

or this

wind break 3

Just do a search on ebay for 'windbreak' and 'wind break' and you'll find loads to choose from.

Similarly 'awning mat' brings up loads too.

To give the windbreak more strength, we secure one end to the bike rack, then wrap it round the poles of the awning, works a treat. Just remember to take it all down though if it looks like the weather might turn. You'll also need an awning tie down kit so you don't end up with a giant 'kite' ... use it whenever the awning is out as it's surprising how quickly you get gusts of wind from nowhere!!!!

If you have a look at the seller's shops/other items, you might be able to do a deal for the lone from one place and get a discount/cheaper postage.

We have one of these, you can get end sections or just across the front.

They stop the wind and strong sun and you don't need to hammer them in as you can weight the bottom down if on hard standing.

I know others that have them and love them too, you can move the front section along if you don't get one the full length of awning, and you can swap ends with the end pieces if you only want to buy one end, (not often the wind blows from both directions) .

http://tinyurl.com/lx477b

Mandy

Just a tip for securing wind out awnings if you cannot peg a wind safety strap down because of hardstanding. We attach a 5l, ex wine bottle with a carrying handle at the top, filled with water to each the support legs with a bungee strap. The bungee hooks attatch halfway up the legs into the hollow section of the bottom square section. Worked ok in Spain and made putting the awing in and out easy. Used the big strap when we stopped for longer periods.

There was a thread running about this a little while back on the motorhometoday forum. A cheaper alternative to the item linked by Mandy&Andy is to buy a roll of material and make your own for a similar price you will have enough material to make two ends and side and still have some left over. I bought mine from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120393129544

its the same stuff as in the link

To hang the ends I purchased an expanding curtain rod (about £5)and attached some curtain rings that look like key rings. For the side I just clip it to the end of the awning

We have bought a set of fabric screens that fit on your canopy and look just like fine net curtain material. The sides fit on with expanding poles and the front slides into the slot in your canopy. Very quick and easy to put up and take down and do not let a breath of wind through. You can purchase them at any of the major shows for less than £60.

Archived