another sat. question

clay

at the mo. i have a maxview dish connected to a sky box it works ok, just a little pain in setting up, the problem is that it is a big item and i was thinking of buying a smaller more compact dish . now it is my understanding that the bigger the dish the easier it is to 'catch' the signal, is that correct. (?)

That's about the top and bottom of it mate,there is a website somewhere, I think it's called ..satellite for caravans?? or something like that, no doubt someone will post it up!!

Just googled it web site is www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk give it a try excellent site gives ya plenty of info very informative!!

clay - 2009-06-15 7:25 PM

now it is my understanding that the bigger the dish the easier it is to 'catch' the signal, is that correct. (?)

Yes and no, generaly for dishes of a similier quality, a bigger dish will recieve a weaker signal, but a smaller dish will be easier to align.

Guest JudgeMental

If its the "maxiview crank up" you have, then this is very well regarded and once you get the hang of it most report it easy to set up..........Just practice a bit. Have youa compass and audiable meter?

a smaller dish will give worse results so whats the point?

not the crank up, its one that sits on its tripod outside the van, i have a sat finding meter and a compass, directed at south east i think about 240 degrees . the only prob. i find with it is the bulk in transit .

Having just splashed out on a satellite system myself I know your concerns.

When I found a 'through the roof' system was not suitable for my MH I reluctantly settled for a tripod and 60cm dish and in many ways I'm glad I did.

Setup is fairly quick and the major advantage is that I can move it without having to move the MH (which has happened on every site I've used it at so far).

The tripod is stored away under one of the front bunks and the dish is collapsed (by folding up the arm) and put back in it's 4" deep box and stored under the fixed bed.

If you go for one of the small dishes you'll still need to store it somewhere (not sure if they collapse) and stick it somewhere to get a signal.  Either stick it to the side of your MH with a sucker or bolt it onto your ladder.  Seems like more of a phaff than a nice sturdy tripod?

W2G

Guest JudgeMental
clay - 2009-06-15 10:01 PM

not the crank up, its one that sits on its tripod outside the van, i have a sat finding meter and a compass, directed at south east i think about 240 degrees . the only prob. i find with it is the bulk in transit .

AH!.......I got one of these last year plus the Lidl suicase one as well....I sympathise, what a pain. While all worked well at home, not one site we stayed on had a clear view so no reception and lots of faffing about. Im not going to bother any more..........

For me, it's all about the line of sight and I'm learning every time I use our Lidl set.

Having previously spent an embarrasing amount of time failing to get a signal through trees, the answer obviously is well don't bother then.

Last 2 times away, set up has taken less than 1 minute. I'm not kidding either. Didn't even need the compass or audible meter. Why? No b****y trees!!

Martyn

I must have been very lucky then.

I used my new system for the first time last week and the first CL we stayed at was surrounded by trees.  But, surprisingly enough, the Astra2 signal was between a slight clearing so I was able to get a great picture by moving the tripod to match the angle.

Our second site had a row of trees and bushes about 40ft away and Astra2 was pointing straight at them!  However, we had a great picture for most channels.

The following night was quite windy and caused quite a bit of picture breakup as the dish was wobbling about.  All I needed to do was move the dish and tripod to the other side of my MH where it was sheltered.  A couple of minutes to re-tune the dish and we got an even better picture than before.

The acid test will be at the Tudor site at Slimbridge.  Never got a single TV channel to work from 5 different pitches using our Status aerial/freeview system.  I'm hoping my new dish arrangement will put an end to this.

W2G

The satellite for caravans site someone mentioned is very useful:-

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

We’ve got the Oyster 85 just switch it on & it sorts it self out. Problem with a roof mounted dish is you have to be careful where you park, tall trees close by to the south of you is a no no.

I certainly wouldn’t pay out the 2 grand plus it is for the Oyster as an extra, it came as standard on our van, we hardly ever use it mainly watch DVD’s when we are away. I found it useful for motor & motorcycle racing but it don’t ‘alf upset the wife, she is going to have to suffer this Sunday when we are in Belgium.

Way2Go

Did you get the Maxview box. If so how are you getting on with it?

When on holiday in Keswick a couple of weeks ago a chap with a tripod dish couldn't get a picture because the on the next pitch were a couple of bikes on a car roof rack. Yes, the satellite was behind the bikes.

Are you going to Fairford this year.

JohnP - 2009-06-16 7:34 PM Way2Go Did you get the Maxview box. If so how are you getting on with it? When on holiday in Keswick a couple of weeks ago a chap with a tripod dish couldn't get a picture because the on the next pitch were a couple of bikes on a car roof rack. Yes, the satellite was behind the bikes. Are you going to Fairford this year.

Hi John,

Yeah I went for the Maxview box and I'm very pleased with it.  It's only the size of a VHS cattette box and is happily installed in a cupboard next to the original Freeview box (which is now used as a backup).

As you know the main difference between the Maxview version and the 'clones' is that it comes with a magic eye so it can be nicely packed away in the back of the cupboard.

Installation was easy and I even wired in a maxview weatherproof box on the outside for the 'F' connector to screw into so I don't have to worry about trailing leads through windows etc.

In use, the EPG menu is easy to navigate and the picture quality is 100% better than when we used the Freeview box.

I've only used it on two sites so far and have had very good results from both.  I've even learnt how to align it to the correct satellite!!

No we won't be going to Fairford this year.  We had decided last year that we wouldn't be going this year and looking at the lineup I don't think we'll be missing anything too exciting . . . . apart from the mighty Vulcan.

We'll be going to Kemble and Duxford instead.

W2G 

Archived