To paint or not to paint?

I've done some of mine. I did the beading along the sink and drainer and around the fridge worktop. I sanded them down first very lightly with some fine sandpaper I think it was wet and dry, then went over it with the varnish. It looks ok better than all the water marks that were on it. You wont get it perfect but with a bit of care and patience you can get it looking 'not too bad'!

Just a minor update to clarify my earlier comment about rubbing down with wire wool then re-varnishing - I am referring to the solid wood bits only (in Bessie's case these are the cupboard and door frames, plus an edging strip around the kitchen. They are all, very definitely very solid wood and not laminate.

The infill panels are some sort of composite faux wood so haven't worn at all.

Thanks everyone for the useful hints and tips, particularly the one about starting with the underneath of a door - hadn't thought of that one, and it's excellent advice which I shall follow.

mikemoss - 2009-06-17 12:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the useful hints and tips, particularly the one about starting with the underneath of a door - hadn't thought of that one, and it's excellent advice which I shall follow.

I'll second that! Thanks very much.

Will let you know how I get on in due course.

Just as an aside.

My collegue used to repolish grand pianos.

If there was a watermark, say from a wet glass in the french polish his method was quite spectacular.

He would pour spirit over the watermark and set light to it.

When the flame had subsided he repolished the area with french polish and polishing rubber.

Archived