Amperor 12volt Stabiliser for my LCD?

The MeerKat

Guest peter
Looks a bit pricey for a 12v to 12v converter. Try Maplins or E.bay. But yes.... that's what you need to stabilise voltage drop on 12v.

I use an Amperor stabiliser and it does just what it says on the box. Good bit of kit.

At the other end of the price scale - Maplins do a 12v stabilised DC to DC for up to 1500ma which is fine for such things as 12v sat receivers but not really man enough for a t.v. (which if it has a DVD in could take as much as 5 or 6 amps). The product code is A61FJ currently on sale for £5.99.

If you read the specs for the Maplin unit it says '12V output is regulated when the input voltage is higher than 16V' so not much use. It is only the same as plugging straight into the battery.

They do a 3A Digital Car Power Adaptor @£29.99 Code: A79GW, which I was told would do the job but on reading the packet it again said that the 12 volt voltage was unregulated. It seems that if you want a regulated 12 volt power supply then there is only the Amperor :-(

We got this unit to run our LCD tele when off hook-up, but is it necessary?

I noticed the other day that the co-pilot had set the tele up to watch and it was using the motorhome's 12v battery straight, not thro the stabiliser.

Probably not recommended but did'nt seem to do any damage.

Many thanks for your prompt feedback guys

I purchased the Amperor stabiliser for my LCD on Tuesday night via E-Bay and mangaged to get it for £35 nikka via the best offer function

Unit arrived next day and just waiting until the weekend before I give it a test run

That's the link for the E-Bay store there

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amperor-12-Volt-LCD-TFT-Voltage-DC-DC-Stabiliser_W0QQitemZ110401634099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM?hash=item19b4733f33&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Cheers

MK :-)

Why go to the expense of a regulator. I purchased three rectifier diodes from Maplin they are rated at 3 amps. Now each diode will drop .6 volts so three in series will drop a total of 1.8 volts. If you connect them into the positive lead the 14.4 volts will become 12.6volts. (But make sure they are connected the correct way round) I have used this on my Free Sat Box for two years and have had no problems. The best part is the diodes only cost 21 pence each.

Brod - 2009-06-25 11:30 AM

Why go to the expense of a regulator. I purchased three rectifier diodes from Maplin they are rated at 3 amps. Now each diode will drop .6 volts so three in series will drop a total of 1.8 volts. If you connect them into the positive lead the 14.4 volts will become 12.6volts. (But make sure they are connected the correct way round) I have used this on my Free Sat Box for two years and have had no problems. The best part is the diodes only cost 21 pence each.

Very good, but if the TV requires more than 3 Amps your diodes will burn out, plus if your battery voltage is lower than 14.4V you still lose the voltage so your TV will shut off earlier than with an Amperor unit.

D.

Maplin also do 6 amp diodes.

Yes it will cut off a little earlier, without the threshold voltage of the Ameror I don't know how earlier. But think of the cost difference. What you can do is put a switch across the diodes to bypass them when the voltage goes below the cutoff voltage.

Brod - 2009-06-27 10:25 AM

Maplin also do 6 amp diodes.

Yes it will cut off a little earlier, without the threshold voltage of the Ameror I don't know how earlier. But think of the cost difference. What you can do is put a switch across the diodes to bypass them when the voltage goes below the cutoff voltage.

This is all very well for someone who knows their way around an electrical circuit but the average motorhome owner doesn't have that level of knowledge.

The Amperor unit will provide a stable 12.5Volt output with anywhere from 10 to 15 volts input, three diodes in series will not do this!

D.

Hi, now i will probbaly sound a bit thick here, and your probbaly right.

I have a lcd tv (sanyo) I know it's stepped down from 230 v to 12v.

would this bit of kit allow me to run the t.v directly from the 12v outlet?

and if so, could the ciggy type plug, be changed to the two pin caravan 12v plug?

Also, could the same unit be used to power my laptop in the same way?

at the moment i use an inverter for the t.v, but only use the laptop when i have a hook up (little as possible) but the fan in the inverter drives me mad.

Sorry to hijack the post.

Pete

Hi Breakaleg.

Yes you can run your sanyo t.v. off the 12v. If you buy the Amperor it will replace the 240 to 12v lead as the Amperor comes with the 12v input plug for your telly already attached. As for the other end - if you only have the 2 pin 12v sockets available in your 'van then yes you can take off the ciggy plug and use a 2 pin.

Re the laptop: No Neither the Amperor or the old lead for your telly will power that. Laptops generally require higher voltages, typically around 19v, an dshould be powered by either an inverter or a 12v to 19v (or whatever voltage is specified for your model) converter. Some lappie manufacturers sell them specifically for their machines (usually at exhorbitant prices but you can also get 'em from places like Maplins for a lot less. n.b. some manufacturers have strange input sockets on their machines so check that whatever you buy to do the job has the appropriate plug.

Archived