Italy

Mel B

Apologies guys, I know this has been discussed before but the ruddy server is playing up again and won't give me the info! >:-)

We're planning on going from Calais and travelling down to Italy - probably ending up at Venice - on our holiday shortly.

We ideally don't want to end up doing a load of expensive (and boring) toll motorway travelling and are quite happy to spend a few days tootling down looking at some nice places on the way. As we'll hopefully have Midge the squidge with us (yup ... he's stills with us! ) we don't want it to be too stressful and will need to make stops at least every couple of hours max. Not bothered whether it's via German, France or wherever.

Can you please give me an idea of the route which we should be looking to take, the AA, RAC and Multimap sites don't give an option to avoid toll roads and trying to jiggle 4 different maps, of different scales, to see what is the best was isn't that easy! I'll have a go and see what Tom Tom suggests but I know some of you have done this and you just can't beat experience and recommendations.

Many thanks.

:D

nowtelse2do - 2009-06-17 5:27 PM

Mel,

Are you saying you dont want to touch any sort of toll roads, if so we need to know your gross weight of van.

Dave

We're okay to use them if needs be but we are in no major hurry so it would seem a bit of a waste of money really to just shoot down them for the sake of it.

Yup, we'll have to use some I know otherwise it'll take an age! :-D

Just want to get the balance right between getting to Italy and enjoying the journey. :-S

We'll also need to sort out where to stay when down there at Venice, and other places to visit. Are we best to get public transport in (bearing in mind we'll have to be able to get there, have a shuftie round, and back to the van in a few hours so that the dogs are not left on their own too long).

Hi Mel,

If you plan to visit Venice be aware that Camping Fusina, It can get over run with Coach parties and backpackers who make a lot of noise well into the early hours.

We prefer to stay at Camping Miramare at Punta Sabbioni. You can then take the ferry to Venice.

The drive to Punta Sabbioni is a bit time consuming but we think it's worth it.

http://www.camping-miramare.it/index-gb.htm

From the campsite it is a short walk to the ferry to Venice. There are also a couple of Sostas (aires) in the area if you are interested.

Don

Or try one of these routeshttp://tinyurl.com/3bwsur

Folk will suggest many sites around Venice.  The one we have used, and like, is at Oriago, on the Brenta canal, about half way between Venice and Padua (Padova), called Camping Serenissima.  There is a good supermarket within about 5Km - directions from the site reception.  Family run site, and less expensive than many near Venice.  Good, and immaculately maintained, facilities.  Small shop.  Bus tickets for Venice from reception.  Bus via Mestre, over the causeway, and right into Piazzale Roma every 20 mins, and outside the rush hours they run to time.  Last bus back somewhere around midnight.  English spoken in reception.  It is in the Caravan Club sites book, Caravan Europe vol 2, under Venice.  Oh yes, and if you get tired of Venice, take the bus the other way, to Padua.  Nice city. 

Why leave the dog in the van?  So far as I know they are allowed on public transport, and are definitely not banned from Venice.  Wandering Venice takes hours, nay days, and the alternatives to the above will be one of the Lido sites, involving travelling in via Vaporetto, or maybe a launch, or other sites with bus routes in, so any/all will involve some travelling time. 

There is an Aree di Sosta at the Venice end of the causeway, but the last I heard it was 25Euros per night, with virtually unusable facilities, and lousy security.  As ever, yer pays yer money.  :-)

Judge - forgot to say thanks for finding the thread for me ... I beginning to think the search engine doens't like me! :-(

Don - with having the dogs its quite important for us to be fairly close as it will give us more time to have a good look around as we don't want to end up travelling on public transport for ages and then only get a short amount of time in the town itself. In France etc we often use aires and then peddle into where we want to be, so the closer the better (within reason!). Do you have details of the aires please, and any nearer the other popular towns etc in northern Italy?

Hi Brian - you sneaked in between me and Don!! 8-)

We don't have an option about leaving the dogs in the van - we can't take Midge with us whilst looking round as he simply can't do it, plus I doubt we'd be able to take them into all the places we'd want to see. If it takes a couple of days then so be it. Would we be better, instead, staying overnight elsewhere and then driving the van and parking closer, on the outskirts, and then going in from there? :-S When we went to Paris we stayed at the campsite and then went in on our bikes - it was great! :-D

My honest answer is that if you think the poor old dog can't cope with Venice, he'd be far better off at home in Kennels. 

The "outskirts" of Venice is the lagoon so, unless you hire a boat, you stand little chance of getting into the city without some form of public transport.  Then, once there, by far the best way to get around is on foot.

You can use the vaporettos to hop around, but the routes do take a bit of deciphering and half the charm is the unexpected views and discoveries you make as you walk.  If you go in mid morning, you'll pretty much have to eat while there (needn't cost a bomb!) and are unlikely to get back to your van until quite late afternoon.  If you don't do this you'll spend all your time going to and fro, and far too little time actually in the city. 

It isn't a huge place, but it spreads out, and there are only three bridges across the grand canal, so all routes tend to get a bit circuitous and lengthy.  Thus day one merely gets you into gear - you then need another three to get to all the interesting bits, and that excludes any of the islands.  You'll need about a week to first do the obvious bits, which will be absolutely heaving with tourists from all around the world, but then to just wander away from the Piazzale Roma - Rialto - St Mark's Sq/Doge's Palace main drag, to all the quiet, peaceful, beautiful little squares and churches and "back street" canals that make up the rest of the place.

It ain't really about the main tourist sights, it's all about atmosphere, and you get most of that in the quiet places: the best bit is to be there after dark, when the lights come on and twinkle along the canals - pure magic!  However, probably not for an elderly dog!

Brian Kirby - 2009-06-17 9:48 PM

My honest answer is that if you think the poor old dog can't cope with Venice, he'd be far better off at home in Kennels. 

Hi Brian, you obviously haven't been following the posting on my little Midge the squidge (not that you should have done of course!) - he's the poorly one with Cushings disease, which has caused some liver and kidney failure and anaemia; he's not elderly as he's only 9 years old and fortunately he's well enough to go with us at the moment. We couldn't put him in kennels even if we wanted to (which we don't) and we couldn't leave him with anyone either due to the care he needs plus he'd never forgive us for not taking him as he loves going out in the camper - if we left him he'd probably pine away and we'd miss him terribly and spend the whole time worrying about how he was anyway.

The alternatives are to not go on holiday which is none starter as we desparately need a break and he loves camper holidays anyway, or to have him put down which is definitely not an option unless he gets really poorly and we can't do any more for him, or to postpone going to Italy at all and go to France or Germany instead - less travelling and, possibly cooler, but as we've done a fair bit of France and some of Germany already, we though that Italy would be a change seeing as everyone seems to think its a lovely place.

Taking into account the answers and advice I get on this thread, it will help make our minds up for us as to what to do and where to go.

I take your point about having to get a boat, but if we can get as close to there as possible then obviously it would cut down the time, we are not averse to going into Venice for more than one day to really enjoy it. I know what you mean about places at night, as we always take the dogs out for a walk on an evening, we often see some lovely places after dark ... magical as you say.

This is a photo of my lovely little grinning Midge before he got poorly. :-D

627058456_Midgesmiling.jpg.2e231f55658e47af6d2648b279a47443.jpg

We went to Venice last October and stayed at Camping Fusina.

The site is in an excellent position on the shore of the lagoon across from the city.

There is an hourly ferry that goes from just outside the camp site to the city, about 20-25 minutes.

We bought a season ticket for the ferry, with the intention of going to Venice in the morning and returning at lunchtime and then returning again for the afternoon. We assumed that dogs wouldn't be allowed.

However, on our first crossing there were several dogs on board, so after returning for lunch our dog came with us for all subsequent trips.

We stayed at Camping Fusina for three nights. It was quite pricey 30€, but the location was perfect.

We only planned to stay two nights, but as we were having such a great time, we stayed an extra day.

Dogs are also allowed on all the water buses. A separate season ticket can be bought for those.

We had a stunning time. Having the season tickets, meant we could go back to the campsite for meals and save ourselves a fortune on eating out.

We had time to visit all the main satellite islands and the Lido.

It was my third time to Venice and it still remains my favourite city in the world.

It's so sad that the day trippers, who appear to be the majority of Venice's visitors don't see the real city.

Guest JudgeMental

The temp will probably be 33-40 deg C so leaving a dog in a van all day? what about a stroller? Route on link is all motorway and no tolls except Switzerland and a minor one in France.and you will have to pay in Italy......

There is another answer to your dilema...You can eat him! I have a very good recipe for a Korean doggy stew, let me now and I'll send it...... :-D

We leave on the 17th July for Italy with a week in switzerland on the way......Cant wait!

images.jpg.a23669c75cccf9e6fcb6adbc5e20013e.jpg

Well Judge ... you've surpassed yourself this time! :-( >:-(

... only kidding! :-> ;-) We've gotta keep cheerful, no point in moping and crying is there. :-S

I think Midge would be a bit tough though, even stewed, and there isn't THAT much meat on him!!!! :D

We already have a buggy, or 3! One 'off road' version with nice pneumatic tyres which is great for taking on the field when out with the other dogs as it doesn't get stuck! A lightweight typical style of buggy (Whinny the Poo!) but it's not that easy to walk with so is only used when we go out in the car occasionally as it fits in quite nicely. The third, which we got recently, is fairly light again but much easier to walk with - this is the one we leave in the camper all the time.

We've already been thinking it might be a bit too hot - our van actually keeps pretty cool but he doesn't do 'heat' at the best of times so taking him in a buggy isn't really an option either (and we're not too keen on it being very hot either). We're starting to think we may do some of Germany and France if it looks like it's gonna be too hot, so we're looking at a 'plan B' just in case. If that's what we end up doing, then we'll hit Italy another time when we don't have a poorly doggy with us and can take the other 2 dogs into Venice etc with us too - with all the wishing in the world, we know Midge's not gonna be here in a year's time. :-|

If he can have a holiday that'll be great and hopefully he'll enjoy pottering a bit. Goodness knows what the Pet Passport people will think when we come back through though!!! 8-)

If you are prepared to take the risk, and if there is a dog in the van this would be reduced, there is a Sosta in Venice itself, in the parking at the end of the bridge - the Troncetto car park. You can overnight there or just use it as a daytime car park. I forget how much it cost, but 7€ per night comes to mind. Out of season it was well used but no where near full. sounds as if this would suit your special needs.

We used the car park at Tronchetto this year and it costs 37 Euros for the first 24 hours then 32 after that. It is very easy to get onto and has electricity and other services. It is secure and does have some shade if you can get the right "pitch". It is expensive, but you are parked in Venice! It is a 2 minute walk from the water bus terminal where you can catch them to everywhere.

You can now get discounts for entry to most places and water buses on line if you go to the official Venice Tourist Board site.

We left our dog in the van and she was OK, but that was in March. It does get really hot though at this time of the year. You can take the dog onto the water buses but then you have the problem that you can't take them into the museums etc.

Water taxis are plying for trade too, so don't get confused and get on one of those, they are very nice little launches but cost a fortune! The gondolas are mega expensive and you will probably need to sell the van to pay for a ride on one!

Have a good, safe trip.

P.S. The tolls on the Italian motorways are not that dear, they are much cheaper than France and Spain, and we found them the best roads to use. They seemed to have exits fairly regular, altough the lanes are slightly narrower than ours and the drivers are mental!

Thanks for all the input guys. Taking everything into account we've revised our trip but will definitely keep the Italy info you've given us as we will more than likely do it earlier next year when the weather is cooler and we have more time to do it justice.

Now we're thinking of taking the route from Calais through Reims, St Dizier, Dijon, Lyon, Valence, Orange - maybe further south, dog and weather permitting, then back up via Grenoble, Geneve, then possibly into the western side of Switzerland going northwards before eventually cutting back across the top of France/Belgium/Luxumbourg back to Calais. With 3 weeks we should have plenty of time to do the trip but not be too rushed.

We're not sure, though, of places to stay in Switzerland, anyone got any ideas of places to vist, and some to stop overnight at? Aires are preferable but we are happy to use the odd campsite or two so long as they allow dogs and don't mean we'll have to sell the motorhome to pay for the night!

We want to get some use out of the canoes on this trip if we can so any nice places near lakes/rivers where they can be used would be good.

Not for me to say, of course, but having read your last post I think you've made the kindest decision.  No reason to miss Italy off your itinerary, though, as Italy per se is not really the problem. 

Venice, however, is the problem as it sits in the middle of its lagoon, and is, in truth, an artificial offshore island, only linked to the mainland by a 3 mile long rail/road causeway.  The adjacent mainland to the North West is largely industrial (Marghera, Mestre, with a lot of petrochemical works), and to the North East is the airport (noise), so neither is particularly good for campsites etc.  You can skirt the lagoon to the East, to Punta Sabbione, or Ca'Savio, but you still have a couple of miles or more of water to cross to get to Venice, and vaporettos ain't quick!  There is a site at Fusina that offers a (I think) free boat across, but you're still looking at 2.5 miles of water. 

However, I do think Venice is a very worthwhile and feasible trip to do, so perhaps at some future time when your dog can either be left at home with relatives/friends, or is no longer with you?

Brian Kirby - 2009-06-23 7:45 PM There is a site at Fusina that offers a (I think) free boat across, but you're still looking at 2.5 miles of water.

We stayed at Camping Fusina last October. There is a waterbus on the hour to Zattere, from 8am to 10pm and it returns on the half hour. Approx. 20 minute journey.

It was about 20€ for a three day season ticket.

Mel B - 2009-06-22 9:32 PM

We're not sure, though, of places to stay in Switzerland, anyone got any ideas of places to vist, and some to stop overnight at? Aires are preferable but we are happy to use the odd campsite or two so long as they allow dogs and don't mean we'll have to sell the motorhome to pay for the night!

We want to get some use out of the canoes on this trip if we can so any nice places near lakes/rivers where they can be used would be good.

Our favourite site in Switzerland is right on the edge of Lake Geneva at Lausanne - Camping De Vidy. There is a man made sandy beach ideal for sunbathing, you have to share it with Herons, Ducks and Swans. You can use your canoes as well as use the cycle track that runs around the lake (You won't cycle around the lake though it's massive, literally miles). You can walk to the lake ferries which will take you to all parts of the lake, Geneva, Montraux etc, the train station is within walking distance as is the town if you don't mind a fairly steep uphill walk (downhill on the way back though), or alternatively catch a bus :D Grass pitches are very spacious, Restaruant and shop on site. Absolutely beautiful ;-)

Derek - that's very useful info - thanks, we'll probably head for that campsite in the future.

Brian - we'll still have 2 dogs when we do eventually visit Italy/Venice etc, its just Midge who'll not be with us. :-( The other two are 6 and 1 years old so hopefully they won't be poorly for a while yet! Whilst I don't like leaving them for a long time, and we rarely do, they can be left for quite a long time if we have to and even then when we come home they are in no hurry to go outside to do the 'necessary'. Unfortunately on Saturday we ended up, unintentionally, leaving the two young 'uns for 6 and a half hours as we got 'stuck' sorting out our rental bungalow in Scunthorpe, we'd left home at 9.00 am and didn't get back until 3.30 pm, Midge had insisted on coming with us which turned out to be a good thing.

However, if we can stay on a campsite only a 20 mins boat ride away from Venice that would be ideal. We'de never consider leaving them at home - they are our family and a holiday just wouldn't be the same without them.

I'll put a separate posting on about Switzerland so as not to confuse.

We have just got back from Italy today! We went through the Tunnel de Frejus which at €44 is a tad expensive but we were initially heading for Lake Maggiore. We also did Como and Garda before heading for Ca Savio. I would echo Don's suggestion of Miramare but we gave it a miss this time because of the construction of the Venice Barrage, and regreted it! However when we investigated whilst there I suspect the work is now at such an advance stage that it can hardly be a problem for the campsite although they have lost their 'bit' of beach! We were obviously towing but we found the tolls on Italian motorways far cheaper when compared to France. Going across country in Italy can be slow depending on the quality of the roads. Goggle Earth can help.

David

Klyne - 2009-06-24 9:54 PM

We also did Como and Garda before heading for Ca Savio.

David

We are looking at next year's trip to Lake Garda. Grateful for some recomendations on sites used (suitable for 25ft long motorhome). The one that looks favourite at the moment is Camping Bella Italia.

As an aside, many years ago I stayed near Venice at Punta Sabbioni on a campsite 'Marina De Venezia'. very large site with own private stretch of large sandy beach. I believe now that they have built swimming pools on site. I always remember the village square on site filled with Cafes, Restaraunts, Gelataria, Shops and the wonderfulsmell of freshly baked Pizza's MMmmmmmm :D

Archived