Italy

Mel B

Guest JudgeMental

Our favourite Lake Garda site is Fornella. Returning there in three weeks time for third year on the trot.........Simply the best site we have been to, many return year after year so it gets booked up very early...... It is out of character for us to return to the same site, but my teenagers have made a strong group of friends and they love the place and so do we.

Really looking forward to it..........the wonderful and resonabaly priced food in the lakeside restaurant, two pools, two pebble lkeside beach’s and great music! Seriously, the restaurant manger hires the bands and he likes blues/R&B/rock and has really good bands. It is very unusual IMO to get good live music on a site but this is truly excellent...

http://www.fornella.it

Originally were going to stay at Bella Italia s it is also well reviewed I believe. But the electricity was only 4 amp and I need at least 6 amp for habitation a/c

JudgeMental - 2009-06-25 5:41 AM

Our favourite Lake Garda site is Fornella. Returning there in three weeks time for third year on the trot.........Simply the best site we have been to, many return year after year so it gets booked up very early...... It is out of character for us to return to the same site, but my teenagers have made a strong group of friends and they love the place and so do we.

Really looking forward to it..........the wonderful and resonabaly priced food in the lakeside restaurant, two pools, two pebble lkeside beach’s and great music! Seriously, the restaurant manger hires the bands and he likes blues/R&B/rock and has really good bands. It is very unusual IMO to get good live music on a site but this is truly excellent...

http://www.fornella.it

Originally were going to stay at Bella Italia s it is also well reviewed I believe. But the electricity was only 4 amp and I need at least 6 amp for habitation a/c

many thanks for this Judge. What were the pitches like for entry/exit ? Would I have any difficulty with my van at 25ft (?) Also, did you use local transport ?

Big Momma - 2009-06-24 10:59 PM

Klyne - 2009-06-24 9:54 PM

We also did Como and Garda before heading for Ca Savio.

David

We are looking at next year's trip to Lake Garda. Grateful for some recomendations on sites used (suitable for 25ft long motorhome). The one that looks favourite at the moment is Camping Bella Italia.

As an aside, many years ago I stayed near Venice at Punta Sabbioni on a campsite 'Marina De Venezia'. very large site with own private stretch of large sandy beach. I believe now that they have built swimming pools on site. I always remember the village square on site filled with Cafes, Restaraunts, Gelataria, Shops and the wonderfulsmell of freshly baked Pizza's MMmmmmmm :D

We stayed at Bella Italia using Camping Cheques although it was very busy. The pitches are pretty big by Italian standards and ours was over 100sq mts. Electrics are now 6amp despite what they say on their website! Its bes to plan your route through the site carefully as there are some tight turns but otherwise access is good. Have a look here at my site report with pictures http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/camping_bella_italia.htm

David

Guest JudgeMental
Big Momma - 2009-06-25 2:39 PM

David, just looked at your link, very informative (especially about the loo roll !), well these things are important to save embarrassing incidents :$ Photo's great, many thanks.

Judge - How does this compare with Fornella (?)

I would say it is unlikely to be better as it is a much larger site.

The pitches are a reasonable size, my van is 6.6 M and I mange to get in easily and there were at least 3 very large German vans near us last year and they had no apparent problems. They will advise you and book you a suitable pitch anyway.

never used the buses but used the train to Venice and Verona. you can park near station and most of the towns around have motorhome parking.......we hired a car last year to have a good look around but really it is unnecessary. While Bella Italia is probably better situated it looks a bit big for my tastes..... Fornalla has such a wonderful relaxed family atmosphere its hard to explain how good it is.....

If unsure try both and report back! :-D but pretty confident of which you will prefer especially if you like your food! lol

I would accept that Bella Italia was much more busy than we would have liked but unfortunately our stay coincided with the May/June German school holidays. However next door there was a campsite http://www.camp-cappuccini.com/ which was only about 25% full. Mind you looking at the prices I am not surprised! The pitches seemed reasonable in size. Not sure I like the attitude at reception when I asked if we could ride our bikes round the site to have a look and they demanded some for of identity. Not sure if this attitude extends to the way they generally run the site! Interesting the website is only in Italian and German!

David

Archived