Finding a campsite by satnav

Pelicanpete

I tried to find a Caravan Club CL at the weekend, using the map reference printed in the Caravan Club's handbook. This proved to be a challenge because my Garmin Nuvi accepts either

1)a full street address,

2)a postcode,

3)Lat/Long in Degrees/seconds/minutes or

4)degrees/seconds and decimal seconds or

5)British National Grid.

However the CC have opted to use 'OS Map reference' in their publication which the Garmin won't accept. Great if you carry a set of OS maps. I don't!

The postcode happened to be the CL owner's farm house, located over a mile away down a very narrow country lane, so that was of little help either.

I called into Halfords today to check out the latest offerings of TT and Garmin and neither make, across the board, now accepts anything other than Lat/Long; not even BNG co-ordinates.

To the expert navigators out there, is there a way of converting OS Map refs to BNG or Lat/Long?

(I've contacted the CC by email pointing this irritation out to them)...

I did find the CL...eventually, and had a very nice time. ;-)

You can definitely get CL POIs for Tom Toms but not sure about Garmin. However, even if I'm using Tom Tom to get me to a CL I still read the instructions in the CC book to be safe as it may well be that the route Tom Tom wants to take you on is not suitable and the book may point this out, same with main sites.

I've found that some of the grid references given seem to be just a conversion of the postcode, and therefore hopeless for finding a strange site.

The only reliable way I've found is to zoom into the site using google earth, and take the coordinates of the entrance road. I've set google earth to give coordinates in degrees, minutes, seconds and that suits my TT perfectly.

Which model of Nuvi do you have?

The 760 does North and West Co-ordinates.

The Map Ref in the Club handbook are OS Map Numbers and Grid Ref. which the Garmin will not accept.

Your best bet is to use POI files from the Club. There is also a PDF file with a handbook telling you how to do this (Also a Tom Tom version)

There are POI files available for CL's and CC sites on the CC wb site

everhopeful - 2009-06-17 9:16 PM

The only reliable way I've found is to zoom into the site using google earth, and take the coordinates of the entrance road. I've set google earth to give coordinates in degrees, minutes, seconds and that suits my TT perfectly.

I've found the POIs downloaded from the CC website very reliable with my Tomtom.

Over 18 months ago i learnt about Achies campings, with my tom tom 700 .www.archiescampings.eu from there i also got camping cheques archies europa, ccacsi archie and euro 1200. I have found them amazing as some sites hard to find but this takes me right there, all i do is go to one of above and whats nearest to area i am in and thats it.

A Google "convert os to lat long" comes up with some answers and a couple of scripts that will do it on a stand alone PC. Some work with TomTom on PDA but I do not know if they can be installed on a TT unit.

A word of warning to the unwary, Use the approaches to the campsites as recommended in the CC (and CCC ??) handbooks, otherwise you may find the sat nav route not suitable for long caravan / motorhome / trailers etc.

RGds

Download a set of CC and/or any other POI that you want then follow the instructions wot I wrote below.

Once you've installed your POIs this is how you navigate to your POI using TomTom :-

1. Click the screen

2. Navigate to

3. Point of Interest

4. POI near you

5. [>] key

6. Select your chosen POI category (i.e. CC)

7. Select the individual CC site that you want to go to.

8. [select] key

9. Fastest or Avoid motorway (don't be tempted with shortest!!)

10. [Done] key

11. Start engine and drop the clutch!!

TomTom - Adding a POI to a TomTom.pdf

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, some of which are very useful.

Since my OP, I have discovered, by trial and error, that one simply has to add a couple of zeros to the OS grid reference as printed in the CC hand book. E.g. SZ123456 must be entered into the Garmin Nuvi 660 (three separate boxes) as "SZ 12300 45600" and bingo.

I hope this helps any other Garmin owners out there. But, at least, I can now stop pulling my hair out!

Archived