Breakdown Cover- manufacturers or purchased??

Hopesy

Hi all, I have a "57" plate Peugeot and so it comes with Peugeot cover for now. Last year we went to France and Spain with just the manufacturers breakdown cover and i felt happy with that. We're off again at the end of August to France. I was happy but after a conversation with a friend who had cause to use his car makers breakdown cover and wasn't all that impressed (time to respond and service after from the sub-contracted service). Now i have a doubt in my mind so is it worthwhile buying something like Red Pennant say or similar. Does anyone have experience of this? £65 for cover seems reasonable when you consider the cost of being towed off a French motorway but if i don't have to spend it, its worth 20 bottles of red

Thanks

Hopesy.

We have european cover with our motorhome insurance through Safeguard, we had to make use of it some years ago with our old van. We couldn't fault the service we received. All hotel bills paid, hire car provided. Vehicle picked up by truck we were taken by the driver to a restaurant so we could get lunch, then picked up by taxi and taken to our hotel, when vehicle was repaired we were taken to the Garage to collect it.

David

The Peugeot cover will not help if you need assistance to change a wheel. We kept our Green Flag cover as well as the Peugeot cover and always take out insurance with the Camping Club for travel abroad. The once we had to phone them it proved to work well.

the manufacturer cover will only cover the base vehicle, and not if it is crashed into, or if you drive the wrong side of the street and total it!

I always, always have breakdown cover, especially in Europe.

My one experience of using the manufacturer cover was with Mercedes - and I can only say that they were fabulous.

Hi,

While on the subject of breakdown insurance, a chap has just had to pay out around €11,000 euro's while in Spain to have his Mercedes engine replaced and there has been a thread running tyring to establish under what conditions could you expect your breakdown insurance to recover you back to the UK, as not everyone will have access to €11,000 euros, anyone have any knowledge of this

Take care and read the small print, quite a few "off the shelf" covers for Motorhomes.

Some seem to think that a M/home is a VW camper size, and you can then find you are too heavy, too long or too high and then classified as a commercial vehicle recovery.

I seem to remember a thread about this with either the AA or RAC arriving to recover a small but coachbuilt M/home said there were excess to pay because ??????????

BTW we use Green Flag, but gren flag only work through the Caravan Club and will not insure direct.

Rgds

Archived