Digital TV Signal

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

A quick look on Google throws up many and varied opinions and options to purchase a device for locating which direction the aerial should be pointing as well as the signal strength and/or signal quality in order to get a digital TV signal when in the wilds.

I understand that signal quality is just as important, if not more so, than signal strength but I must confess I don't understand how or why this should be? Can anyone explain it for me - and I suspect quite a few others please!

The search facility is on strike again today and whilst I recall that this has been discussed before, does anyone have any views or experience of these meters please?

If left permanently connected in the aerial line is the signal loss significant enough to impact on picture quality?

Or will, once the digital broadcasts totally replaces analogue, the signal be strong enough to be able to get a picture at almost any aerial direction and then fine tune the aerial once reception is obtained much as we did with analogue?

Thanks.

Guest Tracker
Because when you move to a new location you often can't get any picture at all until the aerial points in exactly the right direction - and until you get a picture you can't see how strong the signal is to be able to adjust the aerial - unless I'm doing something wrong?

There should be a menu option to tune an individual UHF channel number in with signal strength/quality bars.

Download this PDF, which tells you what UHF channels are used in each particular area.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/reception_advice/dtt_pocket_guide_3_0.pdf

You can print this out and keep a copy in your MH.

So if for example you're in Aberdare in Wales, look for what UHF channel numbers carry the DTT channels in that area. You will find there are six multiplexes, each with a different channel number. Pick the BBC multiplex (channel 28) and get the best signal you can. The rest should be OK as well.

Guest Tracker

Thanks Derek I appreciate your help.

However, as I understand it, it all seems very complicated and hit and miss to me?

Firstly you have to know which DTT serves the area you are in - always assuming that the signal is not via an unspecified repeater station due to terrain blind spots?

Having guessed that correctly I then have to manually tune the TV to the required specified channel and then frig around with the aerial to try and get a picture?

Admittedly it has the advantage of being free but then again it seems like even more hassle than simply not knowing where to point the aerial in the first place - or am I missing something?

Archived