Renault Master

JohnP

My present van has the Renault 150dci engine. I am thinking of down sizing to a van which offers a 120dci or (150dci) at extra cost.

My question is will the 120 version have sufficient power with a GVW of 3500kg?

JohnP - 2009-06-19 8:09 PM

My present van has the Renault 150dci engine. I am thinking of down sizing to a van which offers a 120dci or (150dci) at extra cost.

My question is will the 120 version have sufficient power with a GVW of 3500kg?

Hi John P

I had the Renault 120dci on a Lunar Telestar which was also 3500kg and I always found it had plenty of power allthough it was a Low Profile

Terry

Hi John

I have also the 150hp quickshift 6. It's not a MH but a mobile workshop converted by Wyvern. It Weighs the same as any conversion or maybe heavier. My Daughter runs a Minibus business using the 120hp governed to 62mph. They cannot achieve the same mpg as my van. The 120hp max 32mpg, this is with me driving and i achieve 34mpg at its lowest and with my economy foot attached a staggering 42 mpg!!!!!!

The 120 in comparison is not the same vehicle perhaps a little gutless.

I should like to add the Renault is a fine workhorse and shortly the new one will be revealed.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

My 120 dci and quickshift6 autobox plus cruise control equipped Master is a delight to drive and is fast enough for me. Average is 29 mpg over 14,000 miles run at close to max 3500 gross weight all the time. (Renault claim the this autobox averages 8% more fuel economy than the manual equivalent.) Cruises very well on motorways but overtaking anywhere else needs planning (as in any large vehicle). On steep climbs I sometimes think the extra horses of the 150 would be a nice luxury but not essential as she coped well enough with French mountains. Oh, and she happily reverses up any hill the rear overhang of the body will accomodate!

In case of interest, my Renualt dealer tells me he has just treated the first quickshift6 autobox hydraulics failure of which he is aware but that was after more than 100,000 miles on a 2.5 litre vehicle which he described as a "severely abused workhorse".

Bob

Archived