Reversing sensors, DIY or pro fit?

Becky

I have had a quote for reversing sensors for my new MH of £199 or so.

But a friend has fitted some to is MH from an internet website that cost £39.90 and they work perfectly well. They also have a visual indication of proximity of any obstacles, which may be a good thing, or not; I don't know.

So... what is the perceived wisdom of the Forum?

DIY or the professional job? There is a huge difference in cost, so would the DIY one be of poor quality perhaps? I saw them on a reversing camera website (parkmyauto.com).

I think that it isn't too difficult to fit these things. A wire fom the reversing lights for power, and a little box inside for the noise. Plus a wire to the front to put the visual thing on the dash somewhere.

Clive - 2009-06-20 11:33 PM

Think very carefully about sensors, they don,t do half the job of a rear view camera.

C.

Have to agree with Clive on this, I have both, sensors came as part of the package when I brought van, But had camera fitted and know which I would rather have Camera every time.

If you are considering fitting reversing sensors look at the make Cobra i know for a fact that these are a retro fit to a major car dealer they are very reliable.

What you have to check that the bumper you are fitting them into as there are two different types one for a bumper with metal strengthener and one without.

Cost for four sensors cost around £50 .plus the purchase of a 22m/m hole cutter.

I do agree that a camera is far better and especially if you are towing like i do.

Clive - 2009-06-20 11:33 PM

Think very carefully about sensors, they don,t do half the job of a rear view camera.

C.

I agree that a reversing camera is a good thing. I had one on my previous MH, but it wasn't the clearest in bright light.

I know that I should choose one that is, and I am planning to do so. Just thought that reversing sensors would be a cheap interim measure while I picked something suitable.

I have sensors on the car which are very good, but I will admit I hadn't come across the situation of reversing down a ditch. :-S

So, what makes of reversing cameras should I be looking at? And what sort of price fitted, or could it be a DIY job too?

I have fitted sensors to the 3 motorhomes I have owned, each time I have bought a kit from ebay, costing £20 - £25. Fitting has been very straightforward and involved drilling the bumper for the sensors, (cutter supplied), connecting a wire from the control box to the reversing light and another to the buzzer, placed somewhere where it can be heard, and connecting the sensors to the control box. Whole job should not take more than an hour.

I agree a camera is the best solution, but until someone can sell me a kit for the same price as the sensors I will stick to low-tech!

Archived