Leisure Battery

Hi All

I have just aquired 2 heavy duty 6 volt batteries ex fork lift truck. I was told that these batteries are very expensive and are 175amp each.

I was thinking of using them as a leisure battery but the snag is my leisure batteries are under the drivers and passenger seats and although I will be using the heavyest cable I can to connect them together I am a bit bothered about voltage drop.

Have the auto electricians out there any comment

Terry

If you use heavy duty battery cables to the original cables, it will be ok. a much longer cable run is to your lights, pump etc using much thinner cable.

For the techincal reasons, V=IR that is Volts drop will be the current flowing times the cable resistance. So if you take say 5 Amps through a resistance of say 1/10 ohm then you lose 1/2 volt. Decent cable used to connect starter motors etc in cars will have negligible resistance over a few feet. We are talking 1/4 inch dia cable core here.

Sounds like you have some cracking batteries.

If you have a large inverter to run a microwave oven or similar then you will need a stout seriesing cable beween the two seat bases.

Other than that a length of 6 sqmm cable would be my minimum suggestion.

You can make the "remote" battery pick up a chassis connection from its own seat base so you only require one cable between the two seat bases.

More on http://www.motts.org/second%20leisiure%20battery.htm

C.

Thanks chaps, I do understand how thick the joining cables needs to be and voltage drop as my wife used to have a vw beetle which was six volts and if the battery was down a bit it would not start, and I do remember although its many years ago I fitted a relay in the starter motor and this cured the problems.

The only thing I was thinking am I going to gain much power at the moment my leisure batteries are 2x 85amp and as I say above the 6 volts are 175amps each and will fit under the seats where as the equivelent amperage twelve volts would be to big.

Terry

Archived