Taking a small moped along for the ride, best idea?

kevandali

Hi All

Hope this works out, I am supposed to be adding a photo to this post once I have said my piece, here goes.

In the future we hope to be able to take a small moped away with us.

The van has a very long overhang, from the back wheels to the back of the van is about 1.5 metres and the actual frame/chassis finishes 0.6 metres from the back of the van.

My question is:-

Who can I contact to try and find out what my best option is regarding carrying a moped. (apart from you lovely lot of course)

I want to find out how or if I can fit a moped carrier on the back of the van and how this will affect the weight and/or if a tow bar and small trailer would be a better option.

I have recently discovered that the design weights have been upgraded and a plate has been put behind the passenger seat that reads.

GVM    4000kg

GTM    5500kg

Axle1  1850kg

Axle2  2300kg

I am thinking that as long as the back axle does not exceed 2300kg I should be ok with some sort of moped carrier?

I do realise that working out the exact weight allowed and how this could be done, is not a straight forward matter, that's why I'm on here. :-D

One additional question while its on my mind; My original GVM was 3850kg with a user payload of 509kg, now my GVM is 4000kg does this mean that my user payload is now 659kg?

Thanks in advance for any help, as always much appreciated.

camper.jpg.f8bf16b06fa7d68267685772e0354115.jpg

794788041_scooterrack.jpg.81e3ad7000c75fecfccf93e906a613e3.jpg

Tried to edit the last post but left it too late, was going to say that I had found a picture of the type of scooter carrier I had in mind.

Just need to find out if,

A. It is possible, giving the overhang of the van.

and

B. Some recommendations on who could do it.

Will keep all other posts a bit shorter, I have rattled on a bit in previous post.   *-)

Guest JudgeMental

That is one hell of an overhang! so I would think it unlikely. what with the substantial weight of a suitable rack with the necessary chassis extensions plus the bike *-)

Someone will be along soon with the math but my instincts say I don't think so.........surely only tag axle vehicles have a real chance of getting away with this?

The 2300kg rear axle figure is the crucial one, and the fulcrum effect of the weight that far away from rear axle will be your main problem

First things first, you need to establish what spare capacity you have on rear axle, go to weight bridge loaded as you would expect too be whilst touring and get weight of both axles seperately , then you can consider the maths for the extra load, this will be weight of scooter and the rack that holds it multiplied by the leverage.

1 Load up your van, water food clother chairs charcoal medicines - everything ready to clutter off for a month

2 Install the wife and any children if they are to come along

3 Visit your local weighbridge and weigh each axle seperately.

4 Measure the distance between axles

5 Measure the rear overhank back to the middle of the rear axle

6 Chose a moped and declare its weight

7 Post the information and we can give you a definitive answer.

C.

I had given up the idea of a moped on the back , but now I am once again considering the idea. the reason I gave up was it looked as if I would have to remove the kitchen inside the van to remove the bike carrier but from the photo I can see that it is possible. but does any one know if i have to drill out the fixings or is there an other way?

Guest JudgeMental

Have you considered E Bikes? They have come a long way and are great fun.

Environmentally friendly, Clean, virtually noiseless, no smelly fuel, tax or insurance necessary......

kevandali - 2009-06-22 4:42 PM Hi All
One additional question while its on my mind; My original GVM was 3850kg with a user payload of 509kg, now my GVM is 4000kg does this mean that my user payload is now 659kg?

Thanks in advance for any help, as always much appreciated.

Simple answer is yes, but the proper answer is not necessarily!  What has happened is that the re-plating has been achieved by taking away some of your flexibility. 

The original individual axle maxima have not been increased and, with a long overhang such as your van has, I'd suspect rear axle load will prove the ultimate limiting factor on loading.  From what you say it seems you have not owned the van from new, and I would be a bit inclined to suspect that the previous owner wanted to increase the MAM because he found he was running at over 3850Kg.  If he was, I'd guess he was running the rear axle was overloaded, irrespective of the increase in MAM he eventually gained.

So, do as Clive suggests, and load the van fully with the dog Spot, bottle of pop, and all that, and get the individual axle weights at a weighbridge. 

The question about payload is very difficult to answer with precision, since you have to know what has been taken into account as "unladen" weight in calculating it (for example, was that awning included, if not, as it is now fitted, it becomes part of your unladen weight and reduces your payload accordingly.  All other fixed extras have the same effect - satellite dishes, solar panels etc).  However, MAM is the ultimate limit on overall weight of your van whatever the payload calculation may have assumed, and the individual axle loads are clear enough, so whatever the theoretical payload calculation may say, the true facts will only become clear once the van has been weighed.

I tried carrying a small motorcycle on the back of a Swift Kontiki with Alko chassis with a big overhang.

After travelling in France I found the back suspension took quite a bit of hammering and the carrier grounded on a number of occasions to big an overhang. also the steering became light due to the rear weight.

I now tow a motorcycle on a trailer and find it much better, fitted a camera and reversing isnt a problem on the odd occasion you have to do it.

you will find mopeds are restrictive on power some of the japanese twist and go scooters such as the bergman 400 cc are really great or go the whole hog and get a touring bike.

We had two monkey bikes hung off the back of an Autotrail Scout on a Merc chassis for about 6 years. Additional rear springs were fitted from new. It handled perfectly and we had no troubles until Mel Eastburns article "It aint't heavy, its my motorhome" apeared in MMM. Then my Mrs insisted we put the laden Scout on a weighbridge. Then I built a trailer over the following weke end.

So, advice is always do the weighbridge visit and the calculations FIRST.

C.

Archived