Handbrake - Retractable

Flo

I have just seen a handbrake that once pulled on you can press flat to the floor so that the driver's seat can swivel, it was on a La Strada Nova L, is anyone aware of similar set up for Peugeot Autocruise 1.9 HDI. 2003 (?) (!)

Flo

The Rare-Spares handbrake is a dual function extender. It extends the handbrake height and, by removing a pin and folding the handle forward and downwards, it allows the seat to swivel.

It is a quick release handbrake, similar to the handbrakes fitted to Triumph Spitfires et al. To engage the handbrake you just pull it upwards and forward to lock it on the ratchet. To release, you pull the handle slightly upwards and to the rear to disengage the ratchet and lower it under control. Whilst it is unusual at first, it is intuitive and very easy to use. There is no handbrake button to push.

It is expensive but is beautifully engineered and very easy to fit. If you want to avoid bending down to the hanbrake and want your seat to swivel it is the one to buy.

As stated this DOES the job of going flat to the floor & is fly off as well. Many, many years ago I modified the handbrake on my Mini to make it fly off but I have not seen any such kit in recent years hence my suggested compromise. Have a closer look before dismissing it.

Bryan

This device does not allow the original handbrake lever to fold flat to the floor when the handbrake is engaged. What it does is extend the handle part upwards for operation and allow that handle only to fold down out of the way. It would certainly not help to allow the drivers seat to swivel in my motorhome. One problem I found with these extenders is that getting out of the drivers door with the handbrake on very often involved an unpleasant meeting of extender and my bum 8-) 8-) . The more expensive type allows the handbrake to be released far too easily in my opinion unless the pin is removed and handle folded, my local MOT tester said it was "positively dangerous" in his opinion when he MOT'd one for me recently but there was no particular item he could fail it on else he would have.

D.

A conventional handbrake requires some sort of button to be depressed to release the ratchet mechanism that locks the handbrake in position. Pulling on a conventional handbrake automatically engages the ratchet mechanism and a release-button needs to be operated to disengage the ratchet.

Fly-off handbrakes employ an opposite principle. When a fly-off handbrake lever is pulled the ratchet mechanism does not automatically engage and a button on the handbrake must be depressed to engage the ratchet and lock the brake in position. To release a fly-off handbrake just requires a tug on the lever - the 'engage-button' is not involved. All the handbrake extender designs I've seen just remotely operate the release-button of a conventional handbrake: they don't convert the handbrake to true fly-off operation in the way that Brian did with to his Mini's handbrake.

Once upon a time fly-off handbrakes were quite the rage, usually on cars with sporting pretensions. They were convenient when a car was driven in the type of competition where use of the handbrake had a positive value (eg. rallying and autotests). Otherwise they were something of a menace, being logically less fail-safe than the conventional type and often perplexing mechanics and MOT testers unfamiliar with the way they functioned. When my car went for its MOT I used to tape a sheet of paper to the fly-off handbrake explaining how it worked. I recall instances of 'broken' fly-off handbrakes being disassembled in the hope of 'repairing' them and of operating cables being snapped when a mechanic with gorilla-strength muscles vainly tried to get the ratchet mechanism to hold.

My Transit-based Hobby has its handbrake buried between the driver's seat and cab-door. Lord knows what sort of physique Ford think Transit drivers have as I'm not a particularly odd shape and I find it a real stretch to reach the brake lever even after having removed the thick seat-swivel that Hobby fits as standard. Why Ford can't fit a longer, higher lever is anybody's guess. I don't think any of the extenders will fit on a recent Transit's 'door-well' handbrake lever, but if anyone knows differently I be keen to be told.

Hi ,

I brought one of the Rare Spares hand brake extenders some two months ago and after using it since then, I have just removed it to return to the supplier!!. Why?, well in my oppinion it is downright dangerous piece of kit!! and not suitable for use on a R/H drive (Fiat) motorhome. Yes it is quite easy to get used to using it, but it is all to easy to accidently knock the hand brake off, even without realising it!!. Then there is the fact that you have to hoist your whole body up and over the bloody thing every time you get in or out of the motorhome, unless it's folded down, for someone taller than my 5ft-8ins, I can see it being even more of a problem. An expensive mis-judgement on my part!!. Oh well it's only money.

Em.

• 1 year later...

I also have the rare spares version. I would like to say that earthmover is correct. You have to be careful if entering/leaving the vehicle via the drivers door. I have also caught the handbrake on exiting with my backside releasing it, luckily I was on the flat. Once I did this a couple of times, I had the solution although not ideal. Basically I dont use the drivers door. It takes a little bit to get used to, especially for the misses, who is now used to getting in after me, or shuffling behind the seats if im just filling up with Diesel.

I know this is not ideal, but the alternative i.e. broken back, surgery to extend arm(s) by 2ft means not using the door is a much easier option, (unless others know different).

Would it be unfair to lay the blame with Fiat?? I had a push button handbrake on my VW Passat, could that not be incorporated into the Fiat base. I appreciate that the motorhome is a conversion, but do the amount of sales for this purpose not justify a usable handbrake system??

• 1 year later...

Mercedes and Renault manufacture their own folding handbrake levers. After setting the handbrake on, they basically fold or push down to their 'off' position, thus enabling the seat to be rotated.

The Mercedes kit is just less than £100, however the Renault one is about 300 Euros!!!

I don't know about the Reno, but any good engineer should be able to re-fix the handbrake mount so it starts off lower, but this is not an option if you have short arms or don't like leaning over to grab the handbrake lever!

Archived