Digital Tv

cheetahdavie

Read the Article in this months MMM mag about digital..but still not sure[ I am not the best at the Techo bits..prefer wine and song]

Yes..the need for a good aerial..but what has me in a spin is the need for a "receiver"..

I bought a cheapo [£125] 15" LCD TV set with built in DVD player and built in Digital tuner[Free view]....[never a problem unless I move and it all goes dark?poor viewing angle ..but..hey ..125.. ]

is the tuner my receiver?

can I just by a good dish/aerial.. and connect?

so far I have simply re-tuned and got a great picture [except on 5 where my missus demands home and away? 5 is extremely poor ] on all sites.

Do I really need a "Receiver"

Hope some of you guys out there can put me straight.

In Anticipation..

cheetahdavie - 2009-06-23 12:37 AM

Read the Article in this months MMM mag about digital..but still not sure[ I am not the best at the Techo bits..prefer wine and song]

Yes..the need for a good aerial..but what has me in a spin is the need for a "receiver"..

I bought a cheapo [£125] 15" LCD TV set with built in DVD player and built in Digital tuner[Free view]....[never a problem unless I move and it all goes dark?poor viewing angle ..but..hey ..125.. ]

is the tuner my receiver?

can I just by a good dish/aerial.. and connect?

so far I have simply re-tuned and got a great picture [except on 5 where my missus demands home and away? 5 is extremely poor ] on all sites.

Do I really need a "Receiver"

Hope some of you guys out there can put me straight.

In Anticipation..

The TV is the receiver, that's all you need. Though it sounds like you're using the TV to tune into analogue channels. and not the digital 'Freeview' channels

When you say 5 is poor, how do you mean?

Archiesgrandad - 2009-06-23 3:50 PM

Am I right in saying that you can't get satelite TV without a specific satelite box, so there is no point in buying a dish, For terestial freeview you just need a good Status type job, but reception can be dodgy in some areas.

AGD

if you want satellite tv you will need a satellite box, freesat or even a sky box will be good as long as it has a viewing card. i find the status round arials not so good for digital and have bought a digital specific aerial and attached it to my ladder. also remember that cc sites in poor reception areas have a tendancy to have a booster station you can plug directly into without any bother. plug and tune (lol)

Archived