MMM Short breaks supplement - Malvern Hills

oldlowie

I was slightly miffed by Rachel Stothert's assertion in her RV piece that I need to 'take an extra test to drive anything over 3.5 tonnes GVW'. I was driving 7.5 tonners when she was still a twinkle in Andy's eye. I have always thought I was at the 'whipper-snapper' end of the Motorhome demographic, so does anyone else take exception to 'the arrogance of youth'?

Or is it just me with my grumpy head on today? >:-)

Guest Tracker

I am more miffed by Rachel's failure to make any mention of 'juddergate' in the Caravan Clubs euphemistically called Design and Drive feature.

Long live grumpiness!

Any observations Mr Moderator please?

Guest Tracker

Should we start a new Political party - The Un-naturally Grumpy Old Codgers Party.

A party where integrity, honesty, openness, fairness, transparency, justice, common sense and all those other attributes that have been the victim of 'modernity'.

Nah - it'd never work!

Grumpiness Rules - OK.

Guest Tracker
Clive - 2009-06-23 4:47 PM

STOP ARGUEING!

Kids!

[/QUOTe]

Who's arguing?

Don't pontificate Clive - come and join us!

Tracker - 2009-06-23 1:11 PM

Should we start a new Political party - The Un-naturally Grumpy Old Codgers Party.

A party where integrity, honesty, openness, fairness, transparency, justice, common sense and all those other attributes that have been the victim of 'modernity'.

Nah - it'd never work!

Grumpiness Rules - OK.

I would be willing to be your leader! If elected can I claim for a second motorhome with a moat and duck island??!! (lol)

It's likely that most UK motorcaravanners will have acquired a Category C1 (up to 7.5 tonnes) driving licence entitlement as a side-benefit of passing their basic (up to 3.5 tonne) car test before 1.1.97.

It's also likely that only a relatively few UK motorcaravanners will have exploited their 'freebie' C1 entitlement to drive motorhomes significantly larger/heavier than those with a 3.5 tonne maximum authorised mass.

As most UK motorcaravanners won't have had hands-on experience driving the size/weight of vehicle that the Category C entitlement is aimed at, it would be intriguing to see how they managed when faced with handling a really large, heavy vehicle under driving-test conditions. And, given that most UK motorcaravanners won't be Spring Chickens (and bearing in mind the standard of the textual content of on-line motorhome forums!), I'm sure it would be educational to discover how they would handle the theoretical, non-driving elements of the Category C test.

Bravo to Rachel Stothert for taking and passing the C test. It would be helpful if she recounted her experiences in a future MMM article so that anyone contemplating taking the test would know what was involved.

(Incidentally, though I knew about the driving-licence significance of the 1.1.97 date Rachel mentions in her article, I wasn't aware of the Category C test 10.5-tonnes GVW limitation she refers to.)

Archived