France/Switzerland ...

Mel B

We were hoping to do Italy this time round but due to a poorly doggy we can't really do so, so instead we're thinking of taking the route from Calais through Reims, St Dizier, Dijon, Lyon, Valence, Orange - maybe further south, dog and weather permitting, then back up via Grenoble, Geneve, then possibly into the western side of Switzerland going northwards before eventually cutting back across the top of France/Belgium/Luxumbourg back to Calais. With 3 weeks we should have plenty of time to do the trip but not be too rushed.

We're not sure, though, of places to stay in Switzerland, anyone got any ideas of places to vist, and some to stop overnight at? Aires are preferable but we are happy to use the odd campsite or two so long as they allow dogs and don't mean we'll have to sell the motorhome to pay for the night!

We want to get some use out of the canoes on this trip if we can so any nice places near lakes/rivers where they can be used would be good.

Big Momma's already suggested a nice site on the edge of Lake Geneva at Lausanne - Camping De Vidy which sounds great. Anyone else any suggestions, either campsites or aires - do they exist in Switzerland????

Any ideas????

Interlaken is the top spot in Switzerland for most any outdoor activity you can think of - and it is situated between two lakes. Aires are out though as I don't think that they exist in Switzerland, or at least I have never seen one in the Interlaken area.

Another site I stopped on many years ago was 'Manor Farm' on the banks of Lake Thun (Interlaken). Easy cycle ride in to town and you could launch boats from site. I have read some recent articles that suggest that this has become a very popular site but that it may also now be quite expensive. Beautiful location though and easily accessable, lots to do and see in the area. Must admit that I have always booked camp sites in switzerland and have never seen 'Aires' or equivalent. Might be worth going on the internet and looking at the Swiss Camping Club Site they give a map with all camp sites by region. Don't have the web address to hand but use search words 'Camping Sites in switzerland' and it will bring up a whole host of returns.

Guest JudgeMental
Big Momma - 2009-06-25 10:24 AM

Another site I stopped on many years ago was 'Manor Farm' on the banks of Lake Thun (Interlaken). Easy cycle ride in to town and you could launch boats from site. I have read some recent articles that suggest that this has become a very popular site but that it may also now be quite expensive. Beautiful location though and easily accessable, lots to do and see in the area.

Heading for Manor farm in 3 weeks on our way to Italy :-D

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2009-06-25 7:29 PM

Sorry Mel,

I cant help .

Judge where you off and when ?

usual month in the sun when schools break up. Switzerland and Lake Garda. same as last year :-D

Just got a martina cole book out of library today...The ladykillers, any good?

As we are going to Germany, I bought the Reisemobil International Guide to Stellplatze in Germany.

This has an additional section that lists Switzerland. In total it covers 37 overnight parking places. Some are described as Aires (French speaking area) some as Stellplatze or Wohnmobilplatz (German speaking area).

Reading the Caravan Europe 2 guide it states you can download a list of list of 40 campsites in the Bernese Oberland area http://www.camping-bo.ch

Although these look to be the bigger sites.

http://www.swisscamps.ch/GB/index.html also has lists

JudgeMental - 2009-06-25 6:46 PM

Heading for Manor farm in 3 weeks on our way to Italy :-D

You will have to give us an updateon the Manor Farm experience, personally I thought it was a lovely site but that was 20+ years ago. I have done a draft travel plan for our proposed 2010 holiday to Lake Garda but we aim to stop off at Lucerne (Camping International Lido).

Archived