Taxation Class Quick question

kevandali

Hi Everyone.

Just noticed on my log book that it states that the revenue weight is 4000kg Gros and the Taxation class is Private HGV.

As it is not registered as a motorhome does this effect my licence in any way?

Just thought it was strange that it is registered as private HGV, had assumed it was registered as a motorhome.

don't argue - tax on a private hgv is £165 as compared to a 3.5 tonner motorhome at £185.

Mine too is private hgv and so far no problems! Don't worry about it, it is a regulatory thing and the government, when doing new rules and regs, tend to forget the few tens of thousands of vehicles that come under categories like this - hence no tax rise for years for them.

tonyishuk - 2009-06-26 6:33 PM

Just a thought , If you are not a "Motorhome" in the registration documents, should you be limited to 56 mph ?

:D

Yes, quite likely - if it doesn't say 'motor caravan' in the V5C and is over 3500kg

AndyC

There is no such animal as a "motorhome" as far as the DVLA is concerned. The term they use is "MOTOR CARAVAN" and (as far as I'm aware) this is what SHOULD appear in the D3 (Body type) entry in the Vehicle Details section of a motorhome's V5C Registration Certificate, irrespective of the vehicle's maximum permissible mass.

As Andy C advises, all motorhomes with a maximum permissible mass above 3500kg should be registered in the Private HGV vehicle excise duty class, which (somewhat strangely) is less expensive than the Private/Light Goods class that applies to most up-to-3500kg motor caravans.

In the event that a V5C relating to a motorhome shows the vehicle as being registered in the correct class according to its weight (ie. Private HGV or Private/Light Goods), but does not carry the term "MOTOR CARAVAN" in its Body Type section, then I'm doubtful that this would have any negative legal impact on the vehicle's owner as far as speed limits or driving licence regulations are concerned. However, if I owned a motorhome with a V5C that did not carry the "MOTOR CARAVAN" designation, I'd take up the matter up with my local DVLA office.

As has been highlighted on this forum in the past, V5C entries for motorhomes do seem to differ to some degree. This may be down to the way individual DVLA local offices record data, though it's probably more likely to be due to variations in the information provided to the DVLA by motorhome dealerships when vehicles are first registered. Whatever the cause, if a vehicle owner recognises (or believes) that V5C details are 'wrong', then it's his/her responsibility to make this fact known to the DVLA.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-06-27 8:17 AM

There is no such animal as a "motorhome" as far as the DVLA is concerned. The term they use is "MOTOR CARAVAN" .

Ah ha, I've fallen foul of the old "Motor Home / Motor Caravan / RV " descriptions, I should now better. ;-)

Rgds

Archived