Campingcar-infos now on USB

fjmike

I see that Campingcar-infos are now doing a USB stick with all their info on a USB stick . As its the same price as the DVD I think this maybe a better option as when the data is out of date you still have a USB drive to use, as the the only use for an out of date DVD is a drinks coaster. Also really handy for those useing a netbook that doesn't have a DVD drive. I will wait until the July edition is available before I order, that way the info will be bang up to date.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/USB.php

Here is a Google translate version of the offer:-

Bring with you all the information on the areas referenced

on our website (with pictures and comments)

controlling USB Camper-Info

The key contains all the files area with all the photos and comments.

You can use this key on your laptop

(Laptop, eeepc, NetPC, etc ... in Windows XP, Vista, Ubuntu, Xandros, etc. ...),

without needing to be connected to the Internet.

Current Version: JANUARY 2009

Next Version: JULY 2009

Available from the first day of July 2009

Usual period of delivery: France: 2 to 3 days after receiving your payment.

International: 3 to 5 days after receipt of your payment.

Any idea if or when the information will contain the Lat./Long. positions? The disc as far as I can gather doesn't have this info. I usually make a C.D. from this site using a screen grabber and find this a useful way to go. It's time consuming to do but means that I have reasonably up to date info and it's FREE.

Bill Ord

Guest JudgeMental
some one over on MHF very kindly posted a download from this site for both Garmin and TT this week. but seemed to remove the names fron excel list......So unsure how thia will look when searching *-)

This looks very useful.

To answer Bill's question you can download the GPSr files (either in TomTom or ASCII) from the Camping Car Infos site. Look for the work "Ici" (here) on the front page and click it.

Does anyone know of a downloadable (preferably free) French to English translator? It would be useful to be able to translate all those difficult words without having to get a dictionary out. I know you can use Babelfish etc. but I'd like to be able to use it in conjunction with this USB database and no Internet.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I have bought the July issue and I think it's well worth it.

I have the Camping Car Magazine book and this USB is miles better as it has pictures, comments and parking places as well as standard aires. I've found a lot in this that the book doesn't have and much better info. And of course satnav locations.

I've put all the aire locations and also the ACSI sites into Autoroute so I can now plan a route and see easily what sites there are in an area.

Regarding translation, I've found a free program called Lingoes (Google for it) which translates any word with a click so I can manage to read the things with my basic French.

• 2 months later...

Just got back and I have to say that this is the best 15 euros I've ever spent. I thoroughly recommend buying it.

I'm also adding my comments to the site for all the aires I visited. It's really helpful to see user comments, particularly the English ones.

Way2Go - 2009-10-09 5:55 PM

Thanks for the update Ralph.  Much appreciated.

Following your review I think it's well worth a punt and have just downloaded the 8 Euro version to go on my travelling laptop.

W2G

That's new! I'm pretty sure there was no option to download when I got mine so that makes it really good value. This guide on also includes places that aren't strictly aires but common parking places making it particularly useful.I also had the Camping Car Magazine book (Le Guide Officiel?) and it's useless. Many of the aires aren't shown and it has very little detail. I also borrowed a copy of the English "All The Aires in France" Thank goodness I didn't pay for it! It's out of date and gives recommendations to aires that aren't there any more. And as they don't even intend updating it next year it is a real rip off!8 Euros for this is a real bargain.

Way2Go - 2009-10-09 5:55 PM

Thanks for the update Ralph.  Much appreciated.

Following your review I think it's well worth a punt and have just downloaded the 8 Euro version to go on my travelling laptop.

W2G

Way2Go I agree that at 8€ this is a real bargain and I have contributed to the site in the past. I also downloaded this version in September before I came out to France but have not had time to find out why it will not work. I suspect that the download speed was not quick enough for it and I may have to contact them again. I have since had problems getting internet access so will have to shut myself away and have another go. Does your download work without any problems?

Archived