Insurance

twoofakind

Like the Judge I am insured with Safeguard and have been for a great number of years. However, there is no substitute for research and although time consuming can give you some good comparisons. Other than usual considerations, Age of van, Value, Security installations, Where it is stored when not in use etc you need to decide how you are going to use your van e.g frequent basis, primarily UK or Overseas touring etc (For Breakdown cover). Once you know all this you can gain like for like quotes, however, you will not know how good your Insurer is until you need to use them which is I guess the purpose for you requesting recommendations. I am sure that you will receive a great number of responses with lots of different companies being cited so will you gain anything (?) If you are not a subscriber to the Magazines you should consider doing this, one of the very recent publications did a feature on Insurers so it may be worth trying to get a back copy. Happy shopping and I am sure you will find something that will suit your personal needs :-)

I sacked Safeguard this year after 9 years of insuring with them. I've never claimed so I can't comment on service in that dept..

I felt they were taking my business for granted with their non existent attempts at being a tad more competitive, and a very (to me) almost belligerent attitude on the phone when asking about any routes to a reduction in premium, I'm not alone on thinking this either.

I voted with my feet this time and went to Sure Term. Hopefully I won't have to comment on their service either 8-)

Martyn

I think it is a case of checking out which company is best for your requirements/ circumstances.

For 7 years I have insured through the Camping and Caravanning Club. I have checked others, including at last renewal but FOR ME the CCC has proved to be the most suitable and considerably cheaper than others I tried.

Also see if you can track down the article which MMM did a few months ago.

Have a chat with your local friendly C0-OP man. C.I.S. prices are very reasonable, I've been with them since the old days of my Austin, tried a few others in between but came back to CO-OP, do my banking there too, along with savings etc.

Thanks everyone for your advice we have had a good look around and had some reasonable quotes. Had a week camping with family but back on the search now. All your advice is really useful. We are members of both main clubs so will check them out. Oh yes do have MMM insurance review. Might be a bit of over research, but will post final quote for ref. Thanks again :-D

new to the game - 2009-06-27 6:11 PM

We were with Safeguard until this year following a non fault accident/vehicle write off. Allianz the company they use to deal with claims were terrible. :'(

Sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with Safeguard. I have been with them for a number of years now, when I bought my last van brand new in 2004, first trip out and in France ripped the whole of the side on metal cages housing portable gas containers whilst exiting a fuel station. £4,000 worth of damage. Got quote for repair and Dealer did all communications with Insurance, No problems, I paid the initial excess as is usual and that was that.

Archived