Ducato ignition key

Mr. Grumpy

There is a short piece in July MMM about replacing ignition keys. It was suggested that "Timpsons" could clone a key but this is not true for my 04 Ducato 2.3jtd. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace a key (we still have one of the original two supplied) without going down the Fiat main dealer route as that will cost about £250 to £300.

Greetings,

Until very recently it was my understanding that the keys on these vans can only be programmed by the dealer using the Fiat diagnostic system (Examiner) and that it will only program three keys at the same time. (You could not just add another key) There is a maximum of three keys allowed at any time and they all have to be present during coding.

I was surprised to learn that our multi-make diagnostic kit that we bought for the workshop will program one key at a time. It would still be beneficial to have all keys to hand when doing it but it can be done and it takes about 20 minutes. (The equipment cost £5500 though!)

If you send me a private message I will let you know what kit we have so you can find out if someone near you has one.

Finally, I am sure that the kit will program the immobiliser code but I am less sure about remote locking codes.

Hope you are less grumpy soon.

Nick

Big Momma - 2009-06-26 7:06 PM

I have also a 04 Ducato but my key activates/deactivates immobiliser so I would have been very concerned if 'Timpsons' or any other high street Key cutting operator could clone the key 8-)

The Ford Transit key also activates/deactivates the immobiliser but I can assure you that "Timpsons" can clone their keys exactly as Ford do but at a fraction of the cost.

There is no security issue as far as I can see because you need to have the original key to clone and if you have the key illegally you don't need a copy to steal the van!

We heard that Timsons can make keys but asked us if our Ducato key had a symbol on the actual metal of key and if this has a number 2 above it which ours did it cannot be made at Timsons, HAD 2 locker keys cut with them for £9.

As for Fiat they have just done a spare key for us, purchased the vehicle recently with no spare keys what so ever.

Dealer we purchased off contacted the previous owner, said he didnt have any spare keys.

Dealer refused to foot the bill for spares.

Cannot believe the previous owner could survive with no spare keys, would have been in deep trouble losing his remaining keys.

Fiat Cost us.

KEY £131.64

KEY CODE CARD £13.49

CODE KEY TO VAN £45.00

+ VAT ==== £219.80.

Gutted to have to pay this, just got to have spare keys.

When a forum member asked about obtained a cheap 'non-starting' Ducato key, I subsequently explored this with a couple of local outlets (one of which was a Timpsons) that offered a car-key providing service. Both said they could produce 'clones' of most keys and, if 'programming' was not needed, this would cost just a few quid. The cost of programming a new key varied, but it was generally below £100.

Archived