New 2008 Model van

JohnP

I am considering updating my van. Have seen a new one which is unregistered but built in 2008 on a Ford Transit 2.2 140HP.

Any suggestions what to look for, because the van has obvioulsy been standing around for some time.

The price is right!

As long as the van seems ok, I would try to get damp check done.

As to the Ford part , you never can be quite sure how long any have been standing, either at a store, or at the converters.

If as you say the price is right it seems to me worth taking a chance, as long as the dealer has a good reputation.

Dave

We have a Hymer on the 2008 Ford transit chassis with the 2.2 140 bhp engine and have found it excellent.

As suggested, get a water-ingress test certificate, and check that the fridge is not subject to recall (there was an issue, I remember with some in 2008).

If you decide to buy, you'll find it pulls well, has an excellent gearbox, and is reasonably economical.

Guest JudgeMental

Make sure it is the latest 140 bhp 6 speed.....

They are always standing around for some time...at least the chassis cabs are?

will the warranty's kick in from when you purchase? Is it from a bonafide manufacturers dealer?

What make and model of van is it? I have a 2007 Transit and would definitely buy another as a Fiat is now out of the question IMO because of there appalling treatment of customer's. *-)

JohnP - 2009-06-26 5:06 PM I am considering updating my van. Have seen a new one which is unregistered but built in 2008 on a Ford Transit 2.2 140HP. Any suggestions what to look for, because the van has obvioulsy been standing around for some time. The price is right!

Have a very careful look at the top of the engine block at both ends.  It should be possible to just see the bases of the No 1 and No 4 cylinder injectors.  Look for standing water, or a build up rust, on the top of the engine around the injector bases.  If the engine is rusty on top, there is a leak from the scuttle, just below the windscreen - not the plastic tray you can see, which is not in itself intended to be leakproof, but the steel tray that sits beneath it, which is supposed to be sealed.  If you see rust I'd ask for the van to go to a Ford commercial service centre and for them to comment on whether it is significant or not.  Try to get the dealer to take you along, so that you can get the words direct from the workshop.  Ours had this fault, and I was warned by our nearest Ford workshop to get it sorted out before it progressed and seized in the injectors. 

The plastic tray clips onto the steel one, and the clips sit on foam pads that should prevent water ingress to the engine bay via the holes through which the clips engage.  The ends of the clips can be seen with the aid of a mirror, underneath the metal scuttle tray, just below the bottom edge of the windscreen.  Getting the plastic tray down tight may need no more than a firm push until the clips all click into place, or a gentle bang with a fist, but it may need the plastic tray to be removed (in two sections) and cleaned up and then re-fitted to get the fit right.  You may also see several apparently open holes, but if you feel them you should find they are covered by with transparent plastic seals.

If it has been standing around for long (dealer's stock records should say for how long), it might be worth asking the Ford workshop if the engine oil should be changed, especially if there is visible rust on the engine.

That apart, ours is the earlier 130hp version of the engine, and I have to say it drives very well indeed.  There is a tendency to stall on drive away, which does diminish as things bed in and loosen, and as one adjusts technique.  It never quite seems to go, but overall the Mk 7 Transit is very responsive and tolerably quiet.

Ours is only the 110 bps, and has plenty of power for our SWB van conversion. A coachbuilt would need more, but 140 bps should easily pull anything you can fit on the chassis.

Follow Brian's advice when you look under the bonnet, but otherwise stick with the blue oval, you can't go wrong!

Have a look at the date on the tyres, this tells the month and year when they were manufactured, this will give you an idea how long the chassis has been standing around.

Also, as the Judge has suggested, contact Ford customer service to confirm when the warranty for the chassis will take effect, they're usually very helpful, certainly more helpful than "other" manufacturers.

As regards the base vehicle there can often be a significant difference between the build date of the vehicle i.e. the chassis/cab (when it came off the production line) and the build date of the conversion. For example my Ford Transit Hymer Van was "built" in February 2006 and delivered and registered on 1st March 2006 however the data label on the base vehicle shows the precise time to the second it was built (in Turkey near Istanbul) in July 2005. Ford have a good service network and servicing and paerts are relatively cheap. Given corrent issues with Fiat/Peugeot X250 Ford would be my choice.

JohnP

A Transit's VIN-number is very visible on the top of the dashboard. As mike-202 says, if the VIN number is provided to a Ford main agent, it should be possible to confirm the date that the chassis left the Ford factory. (Unlike Laurence's Hymer, my 2005 Hobby's Ford label has no build-date data on it.)

It would be worth checking brake disks for any signs of serious corrosion. Ford also advises that cab air-con should be run monthly and it's doubtful this would have happened with a 2008-built vehicle. A Ford Transit warranty should commence when the vehicle is first sold retail and, in for a UK-sold Transit, the warranty is normally 3 years duration.

I note that Wellhouse Leisure is currently advertising a batch of bargain-price Fendt K-Series motorhomes with the 2.2litre/140PS motor that I presume are 2008 models. If the vehicle you've seen is one of these, it would be wise to establish the exact terms and conditions of the Fendt conversion and water-ingress warranties.

See if you can track where it has been since manufacture. There are a few flood damaged vans said to be slipping into the market. The damage may be mild and justify a lower price, or it may be severe and a con. Much will depend to what extent you trust the dealer. If in doubt, walkaway. There are always good buys to be had if you are patient.

Archived