tv problem in M.H.

duetto owner

Our hi-top has a "Avtex" W102D freeview TV that folds down from the cab ceiling been having varied poor to ok reception at various locations. But camping here in sennen cove cornwall has made me consider sat set up.

But here is the problem the tv does not have a scart socket but does have AV input socket and a output socket. Is there anyway a sat set up could connect to this tv. I was going to use our home sky box and buy one of those alloy sat stand alone dishes that you place outside the camper.

is this a non starter due to no scart socket?

colin

using a circular freeview aerial that came as standard on our duetto, unable to upgrade to an elevated stronger one due to the thickness of the roof apparently.

but down here in senna cove no digital tv or analogue only those with sats can get tv.

we are only down here on holiday and even the internet signals are poor have to use t mobile best of the poor signals.

the campers here pin down the stand alone dish stands with tent pins.

If your AV input socket is 3.5mm as some are then be aware that some plugs are short and do not make correct contact to the TV. I do not know if the standards allow for long and short plugs but anyway they vary by about 1mm in length and that can be a real problem.

Buy one locally and take it back if it doesn't work, I now have 3 short plug ones that are useless!

Geoff

The Avtex has both analogue and digital tuners so if you want to go the sat route for tv the best way would be to get hold of a sky box. (You can still find 12v pace Javeline aka 1000 boxes if you don't want to have 240v or an inverter to drive a 240v box).

From the aerial output of the sky box run an ordinary aerial lead to the Avtex aerial input and tune the sky box in (they are usually pre tuned to Ch69). You could then run your current aerial to the sky aerial in socket then you would be able to watch either terrestrial where there is a signal or sky when the terrestrial signal is not so good.

With this method if you want to hide the sky box, say in a cupboard, you could add a "sky magic eye" (about £4.50 on the internet) and control the hidden box by merely pointing the sky remote at the t.v.

The only down side is that you will only get a mono sound rather than stereo but in a m/home you will not notice too much difference.

By chance I have just been trawling the classifieds on this forum and there are a couple of Pace 12v Sat Boxes for say about the £50 mark.

Rgds

Just to add, that you may be able to get connected by using a video camera lead scart to RCA plugs, a couple of RCA double connectors and then connect a PC 3.5mm audio / video lead to RCA connectors. Messy but might work.

duetto owner - 2009-06-26 8:48 PM

(snip)

But here is the problem the tv does not have a scart socket but does have AV input socket and a output socket. Is there anyway a sat set up could connect to this tv. I was going to use our home sky box and buy one of those alloy sat stand alone dishes that you place outside the camper.

is this a non starter due to no scart socket?

We had the same situation when we bought our sat kit from Aldi so bought a scart to AV adapter lead from Maplins which works fine.

Only problem is that after I bought the lead I noticed a very similar one in Asda for a lot less money :-(

Graham

Archived