gas hob problems

Mamie

Hello

Can anyone help me with an ongoing problem with the gashob in my van please. It has been an irritation since new two years ago. Put quite simply one of the three rings does not stay alight when the on/off knob is released. It lights up and then when the knob is released it goes out. It has been back twice (not just for that) to Brownhills (over 120m round trip) and had a habitation check as well, each time being told it was now ok, only to find a few days later that the same problem recurs.

We have now had a gaslow system fitted and the same problem persists with the added problem of only half of the said gas ring lighting and then going out and this is now happening with another of the gas rings - this one stays on but only half of it lights!, leaving only one functioning properly. The Gaslow fitters did find that we had a 37mb regulator fitted to a 30mb system - so much for a habitation check.

I should be very glad if anyone could advise me what to do please.

Guest Tracker

Have you tried the 'talk to Tom' 'service' that Brownstuff advertise?

The CEO Tom Booth used to guarantee to resolve your problems with just one phone call - yeah right!

The other and probably better option is to talk to the cooker / hob manufacturers direct. You should have had a booklet with the van that tells you all about the cooker / hob and who makes it and where they live?

Sounds like the flame failure cut out has failed to not cut out and this should be easily fixed by a replacement control valve. Or maybe a bit of 'crud' in the pipe which is causing restricted gas flow. Not hard to diagnose or fix by any competent workshop.

ive had this problem and was advised to get a new part so called a friend who use to work for mendip/discover to fit it ,but before he started taking anything apart he gave the knob 5 quick stikes with the side of his hand and yes you gest it ,lit first tiime ,so when i asked him how he new about that he told me that in the control knobs there are small maganets in the shaft which when they get dry, they stick together ,then causing the problem ,he said a squirt with wd40 now and again would do the trick ,hope this helps

njw - 2009-06-28 12:59 PM

ive had this problem and was advised to get a new part so called a friend who use to work for mendip/discover to fit it ,but before he started taking anything apart he gave the knob 5 quick stikes with the side of his hand and yes you gest it ,lit first tiime ,so when i asked him how he new about that he told me that in the control knobs there are small maganets in the shaft which when they get dry, they stick together ,then causing the problem ,he said a squirt with wd40 now and again would do the trick ,hope this helps

IMO squirting WD40 into a gas control valve is NOT a good idea, it's likely to wash out the special grease that seals the valve spindle to the body of the valve. Then you'll end up with a gas leak.

Heaven help us if that's what the professionals' do...

AndyC

We had a very similar problem. The van is fitted with a Stoves cooker. The big ring would only half light and slowly die out. The small rings were OK but you could only use one at a time.

The cooker has a glass cover that hinges upwards. This has a gas cut-out that operates when the lid is closed. This safety value was sticking. Lifting the lid until the stop was reached and then giving gentle pressure to move the lid further back worked.

It was frustrating as some times the valve opened fully ( when being inspected by an enginner) or sometimes stuck (usually just before dinner )

Hello again

Thank you all very much for the information and I will have another go this afternoon. We are going away tomorrow so hope it works ok.

The solution of giving it a few sharp taps first is a very tried and tested method of fixing many problems!

If the weather continues to sizzle maybe we won't need a cooker.

Thanks again Mary

With the type of cooker fitted in the Exis being too clean can cause this problem. Soapy water dries in the gas outlets and rusts the ubder side of the burner.

Remove the 2 screws on th etop of the burner and give the underside of the burner cover a good rub with fine wire wool then wipe off any debris. replace and light and hopefully the problem will have gone!

Archived