Prices of campsites

david ann

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that 'wild camping' in all forms is permissable in Scotland. We only did it once during a 2 week stay recently. It was wonderful parking by the side of a loch with good views and a 5 minute walk along the lochside into the town. (The nearest campsite was a couple of miles away wanted £17 per night without electricity and £3 for electricity.

I forgot to say on an earlier posting that Torvaig Campsite prices are throughout their season (from April till October).

mel wood - 2009-06-29 5:58 PM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that 'wild camping' in all forms is permissable in Scotland.

Not quite true, the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 excludes, in general, the right of access in a motorised vehicle.

AndyC

Some of us cannot avoid school holidays either because of having children or like myself my OH is a teacher. I just accept that these are going to be the busiest times of the year and subsequently the most expensive. However, the reason I enjoy the motorhome experience is because it gives us an opportunity to see other areas of the UK we have not seen, and in summer other countries. It gets us out of the house and enables us to spend some quality time together enjoying walking and just generally relaxing. I too am on a budget and have to watch the pennies, but I just plan accordingly and calculate the cost of campsites into the holiday budget. If a campsite is too expensive then I do not use it and will look for an alternative in the area, if possible. This year for our main holiday we are doing a 25 day tour of Spain and yes some of the sites we will be staying at our quite expensive, but they are in the area we want to be in and offer the facilities we require so that is that, I calculated these costs in to my holiday budget and we will I am sure enjoy the tour. The long term cost may be that some of our UK weekend trips may have to be forfeited but I am sure we will get other opportunities.

I have recently suffered some temporary ill health and it makes you look at things from a different perspective. If in the future, for whatever reason, health, finances etc we are no longer able to partake in our motorhome adventures i will be able to look at my many photo albums with happy memories of the places we have been to.

Just enjoy the time you have and make the most of it because you just never know what tomorrow may bring :-S

Big Momma - 2009-06-30 1:09 AM.....I too am on a budget and have to watch the pennies, but I just plan accordingly and calculate the cost of campsites into the holiday budget............ but they are in the area we want to be in and offer the facilities we require so that is that,

Don't forget there is a growing network of Spanish aires.

http://www.lapaca.org/areas/espana.php

They can help keep the costs down and you can save the camp sites for when you need the facilities or a specific location.

derek500 - 2009-06-30 8:44 AM

Big Momma - 2009-06-30 1:09 AM.....I too am on a budget and have to watch the pennies, but I just plan accordingly and calculate the cost of campsites into the holiday budget............ but they are in the area we want to be in and offer the facilities we require so that is that,

Don't forget there is a growing network of Spanish aires.

http://www.lapaca.org/areas/espana.php

They can help keep the costs down and you can save the camp sites for when you need the facilities or a specific location.

Since the last incident on our French tour a couple of years ago we are still a little apprehensive. We did not get a European trip last year as we went to Australia to visit my sister. I have purchased the Aires book for Spain & Portugal (already have the French and German books) and I am keen to try the Aires stopovers at some point as the majority of people who contribute to this forum do not appear to experience 'any' problems. However, we have seen very recent stories about incidents in Spain, as recently as this month's Caravan Club magazine :-(

Once I get the opportunity to retire and will need to watch the budget even more then this may lean me towards the use of Aires on a much more frequent basis.

I am also a creature of habit which is not always good I know. I like to have a certain re-assurance that I have a pitch booked rather than risk turning up somwhere in the hope there is a space, camp site or Aire. Recent discussions on this forum have shown that it is much more difficult to find a pitch unless you have pre-booked, often months in advance in peak season. Again, once I have the freedom to travel 'out of peak season' then perhaps this would be the tme to just take the chance.

I take my hat off to all you intrepid travellers who just hit the road and rest your head wherever you end up at the end of the day B-)

Big Momma

I take my hat off to all you intrepid travellers who just hit the road and rest your head wherever you end up at the end of the day B-)

Eric, I'm like you, a creature of habit on the whole and a couple of years ago was reminded very clearly of the benefits.

In "our" usual spot in The Dordogne, I'd just cycled back from the village and was confronted at the site entrance by 2 UK caravan outfits, I'd slowed down whilst passing them and made a friendly comment to the lead driver.

Ahh, British he says, good, Is there any room on the site? I replied saying there was 5 or 6 pitches empty.

Well you'd have thought I'd given them the winning lottery numbers, they were literally whooping with joy, he got out of the car, he's shouting to his mate behind that there's room, absolute chaos in the cars from the kids.

They pitched up not too far from us, it turned out that they'd been looking for a pitch for the best part of a day, in 30 degree heat, with about 6 kids between them.

Martyn

Big Momma - 2009-06-30 11:17 AM

Again, once I have the freedom to travel 'out of peak season' then perhaps this would be the tme to just take the chance.

We rarely holiday during peak season and consequently rarely book in advance, sometimes maybe phone on the day if we intend to turn up late.

Have never booked in advance in europe, the only time we holidayed in France in 'peak' time was for 1999 eclipse, we and hundreds of vans etc turned up at municiple site in Picady, unknown to us the site was officialy closed but Mayor took control had site opened and also unlocked gates that lead to ajoining sports field for overflow, I wonder what would have happened in this country!

colin - 2009-06-30 9:39 PM

We rarely holiday during peak season and consequently rarely book in advance, sometimes maybe phone on the day if we intend to turn up late.

Have never booked in advance in europe, the only time we holidayed in France in 'peak' time was for 1999 eclipse, we and hundreds of vans etc turned up at municiple site in Picady, unknown to us the site was officialy closed but Mayor took control had site opened and also unlocked gates that lead to ajoining sports field for overflow, I wonder what would have happened in this country!

Unfortunately Colin I do not have the luxury of not holidaying outside of the Peak season as I explained in my original post :-( One day though I will be able to wait until the hoards have left and just go with the flow like yourself :D Mind you the way the recession is going, by the time I retire there may be a lot more of us on the road and the Aires and Sites will be crammed anyway :D

Loved your story about the Eclipse, now that is what the camping spirit is all about. Bet the local hosteleries and other traders benefited too eh ! But do not underestimate this country. On my very first Motorhome trip to Scotland many years ago I suffered a rear tyre blow out. Cut a long story short, had to call AA out and they informed me that all the tyres were cracked and needed replacing. This caused us a severe delay to our first night stop on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I phoned ahead and explained that I would be late. When we arrived at around 8pm the lovely owners told us to forget formalities and showed us to our pitch. They enquired as to whether we were alright and whether we had eaten. Although the site Restaurant had closed they told us to come down after we had showered and freshened up and cooked us a terrific meal. The following morning on our way out we paid the bill and were obviously hugely grateful. but what service and we were only staying for the one night, so there are some very nice people around (lol)

Tomo3090 - 2009-07-01 9:49 AM

St. Davids' Park on Anglesey, £28.00 per night WITHOUT electricity! Who the hell would pay that?

Not me for sure, that is blatant overcharging and more fool they who do pay it.

I wouldn't pay that if it was an all singing & dancing pitch with electric, hardstanding, fresh water, drain, telephone, toilet, shower, bath, TV, Wi-Fi, and GAS!!!

Right I'm done now :D

Martyn

Tomo3090 - 2009-07-01 9:49 AM

St. Davids' Park on Anglesey, £28.00 per night WITHOUT electricity! Who the hell would pay that?

Sorry, but even I would not pay that kind of money. I usually work on a top limit (in the UK) of £25 per night and for that i would be expecting a particularly top class site. Someone may prove me wrong but I don't think even the Caravan Club rates extend to that WITH Electricity (!)

We have just returned from a Mon-Fri Holiday with our two daughters and their 3 year old sons, at a static van on the east coast,(it cost us £200, using the Sun voucher scheme, seeing as you asked).

What I had not realised before was that this holiday company, Park Resorts, encourage camping on their sites, either campervans, caravans, or tents.

These Holiday Parks, there are about twenty two of them scattered mostly down the East Coast to the IoW, are basically for Statics, but virtually all the sites have indoor and outdoor swimming pools, sports facililities, and clubhouse with "entertainment" included.

Best of all, their campsite prices start from £5.00 per night for a non electric Sun-Thurs Low Season Booking. Low Season is up to late May, excluding Easter and the Bank Hols. Electric is £2 extra.

Mid Season midweek (up to school summer hols) is £8, or £12 with elec.

I have paid these prices, and more, on CL sites, and they don't have swimming pools, etc.

All the details, and a brochure, in at www.park-resorttouring.com

B-)

Sounds like a similar set up to 'Haven Holidays'. Great for families without a doubt as they have kids clubs, entertainment and late night bars. Far too noisy for my liking and when the late night revellers come back they generally let everyone else know about it. I once used a haven site in Weymouth, never again :-(

As we have six grandchildren, oldest is eight, we have been to Haven, Butlins, Pontins and a few other smaller ones, and have in the past always stayed in the parks own accommodation, and have had the noisy drinkers wandering past.

Invariably, the campsites are away from the centre of these Parks, so if you are awakened by the late night revellers, it would be your fellow campers, whose late night drinking is usually restricted to a cup of Horlicks.

My posting was to show that if you have you have young children/grandchildren, and are retired, or in a position to take them away in the out of season times, these parks mean you can give them a very good holiday very cheaply.

gasgobill - 2009-07-02 10:33 PM

As we have six grandchildren, oldest is eight, we have been to Haven, Butlins, Pontins and a few other smaller ones, and have in the past always stayed in the parks own accommodation, and have had the noisy drinkers wandering past.

Invariably, the campsites are away from the centre of these Parks, so if you are awakened by the late night revellers, it would be your fellow campers, whose late night drinking is usually restricted to a cup of Horlicks.

My posting was to show that if you have you have young children/grandchildren, and are retired, or in a position to take them away in the out of season times, these parks mean you can give them a very good holiday very cheaply.

Not meant as a criticism as these holiday parks meet the needs of lots of people. However, whilst pricing these days is very much an issue, and I fully appreciate that you were identifying a potential good low budget opportunity, cheaper is not always better. :-)

I won`t pay the high season prices quoted by the 2 big clubs as I think it`s a rip off, instead I look for a rally or temporary holiday site somewhere in the area we want to stay. Failing that it`s usually a CS or a CL jobby although during our `annual 2 weeks away` holiday, we occasionally choose a CCC club site but we always do that during June so it`s a mis-season price.

SAS - 2009-07-02 10:52 PM

I won`t pay the high season prices quoted by the 2 big clubs as I think it`s a rip off, instead I look for a rally or temporary holiday site somewhere in the area we want to stay. Failing that it`s usually a CS or a CL jobby although during our `annual 2 weeks away` holiday, we occasionally choose a CCC club site but we always do that during June so it`s a mis-season price.

And this is exactly why all the campsites exist, because they suit individual needs ;-)

Archived