trauma vent exterior white plastic cover

duetto owner

the white trauma plastic exterior cover is very difficult to pull off when parking up on campsites I have to pull so hard I fear snapping the hinges.

another camper on a site i was on this week had the same problem.

anyone had this problem and got a solution or is it back to the dealers?

duetto owner - 2009-06-28 8:37 PM

the white trauma plastic exterior cover is very difficult to pull off when parking up on campsites I have to pull so hard I fear snapping the hinges.

another camper on a site i was on this week had the same problem.

anyone had this problem and got a solution or is it back to the dealers?

Hi, do you mean twist off?

Anyway had a new boiler fitted last year and they no longer fit them.

Mine was very hard to get off too, also hard to re-fit. Then I discovered excess sealant, (from when they sealed the vent to the body) along the top edge where the cover sits. After removing this excess sealant, it is somewhat easier. I have noticed a few with the covers missing, maybe got fed up with difficulty in removing.

My instructions warn against travelling with cover missing.

According to my Truma August 2007 products catalogue there are two types of Ultrastore-boiler external flue-cover - one (KBS-2) for boilers manufactured from 01/1992 to 06/2006 and another (KBS-3) for 07/2006-onwards boilers.

For the earlier KBS-2 flue-cover a 'removal tool' was advertised (Part No 70010-160000 - £5.52), but I've no idea if this is still available.

I made my own removal tool from an offcut of dowel approx 1 inch diameter and approx 3 inches long (see photos).

Cut a chunk out about half way through the width of the dowel and about an inch long then cut a notch, wide enough to fit the lip on top of the cover, at the intersection of the cuts.

Fit the notch over the lip and lever the tool outwards and the cover comes off pretty easily.

Graham

tool1.jpg.4582e5eaefc99ed4ad03c98c0e3df3d9.jpg

tool2.jpg.70eab2d0514db8242857f2795565ea57.jpg

Push down with the heel of your left hand and pull from the bottom with your right. Even my wife can do it now. Replace by fitting the top first and then a sharp bang on the bottom will replace it just as easy.

Archived