What is needed for a first motorhome trip?

lainey567

Torch, pen, paper, scissors, needle & thread, basic tool kit, basic first aid items, kit to get water to and from your van, carpet samples from a carpet dealer to plonk outside your van for feet wiping, toilet fluids.

Go round your own home and copy what you'll use in the van, i.e. razor, toothbrush, towels, basic foodstuffs, the list is endless but your payload is not...

Martyn

LordThornber - 2009-06-29 9:25 AM

the list is endless but your payload is not...

Martyn

lol - 1.2 tonnes payload in my van!

This month's Caravan Club mag has a checklist of the things you need (or supposedly need) to take with you.

Like baby lists, these lists are always OTT - however, they have the basics on them.

Have sent you an email with list attached.

The list is comprehensive for my travels abroad but it will give you an idea of what to take. A lot of it will be irrelevant to you on your first trip.

Happy motorhoming.

Don't forget your 1.5 tonne payload goes down if you've had loose carpets fitted, a solar panel, satellite dish, roof mounted aircon unit, rear steadies or any "extra" things added by your van builder or dealer. i.e. engine/gearbox upgrades, "SE packs" and the like.

The amount of water you might carry, passengers, dogs, bikes, gas bottles and all the stuff on your lists will also make significant inroads to it so don't be fooled into thinking you can load away without a second thought.

I have a list which I check before packing but keep adding to it after each journey.

make a list and break it up to

kitchen...pans,cutlery,washing liquids, other bits peeler, masher bread knife, kettle etc, food/drinks.

toilet... fluids, wash gear toothpaste, soap,etc, towels.

clothing,umbrella,tv listing mag, torch, screwdriver, camping chairs,medication, camera

motorhome gear....leads, satnav,atlas,insurance tel details, waterhose, tyre pump, level items, first aid,fire ext, small spray to clean bird/insect mess.

the list is never ending.

When we first started motorhoming I made 2 lists - one fore short breaks or weekends away and the other for our holidays to help achieve a stress free run up to going away.

The second list covers more, like documents, passports that would not be required on weekends away in this country.

As things change the lists can be adapted and printed off if required. Also on the list is mechanical checks, fresh bedding, checking levels of tea/sugar/toilet rolls etc of the things always kept on board.

I have found that if something isn't used for several trips then off the list it comes to either lessen the load or make way for something else - in our case more doggy things as the pack has increased! I know this doesn't immediatedly help you with what you need to take, but might help in the future.

A laundry bag is useful (we use a spring up one) this can be moved easily if the shower is required, and also easy to take indoors for washing purposes. It's amasing quite how much they fit in and we've found generally better than plastic bags.

The best thing to take with you is your sense of humour as that way what ever you have left behind never seems quite that bad!

Enjoy your first outing!

Archived