New lcd tv for campervans

Guest Rees

Has any member experience of the new AVTEX W151T lcd tv. It has 15 ins screen,12v+mains (no need for stanbiliser/inverter), has inbuilt radio with AM/FM RDS, good quality sound from twin speakers, multistandard tuner (UK+Europe tuning), niacam stero sound, etc etc. It comes with a simple prop-up stand butI would need a wall mount that allows easy detachment of the TV (for security reasons). Any advice on that? The firm that supplies the trade is based here in Cardiff and advertises widely. The cost is £329. Where can it be obtianed cheaper? Looks good but is it? The Avtext shop in Cardiff tells me that this is a new model made to their specification for campervans. It is cheaper that the Thomson, the favourite to date. Any comments?

Just typed Avtex in and searched, see www.Leisurepower.co.uk Avtex LCD 15in with DVD slot for £449.00.Avtex`is i understand another brand of Casio

• 1 month later...
I know I'm late posting this but I've just signed up and read the forum. Why get ripped off paying silly money for an LCD tv for your van? Like the other guy I bought a Mikuno LCD ,240/12 volts, from Argos and it's brilliant,and it's only £170!

LCD TVs are very susceptible to changes in voltage when used on the vehicle battery. Amperor do a stabilized power supply for LCD TVs. Try www.amperor.co.uk. Whatever the input voltage between 10volts and 28volts, it puts out 12volts.(so is also suitable for trucks). I`ve got one for my Digifusion 15" and no problems so far.

Rees We have just dropped our Avtex K104 AT aVTEX IN cARDIFF FOR THEM to check it out as the screen is very dark. Hope they can sort it out as we only had it last week. Put our roadstar tube tv in the van to compare pictures and the old style is the best unless Avtex can sort this for me. The only reason we have flat screen is the tv cabinet is fitted ready for it in our new van so no option. Looking at them now I would prefer the older tv with good clear pictures! Will wait and see. Cant comment on the new Avtex tv sorry Chris

Just a note that avtex fixed my tv no problem. The bulb inside was replaced so have a much brighter tv. Saw their display and they have a good selection there. Couldnt remember which model you mentioned but they spoke well of the avtex 104 and the Thomson 15inch.The best reviews I have seen came for the thomson but too big for our van and as the Avtex uses only 22watts we went for that as we prefer to wildcamp and use small CS sites. The 2 other Avtex I saw were 3 in 1 and 6 in 1 tvs so probably the one you refferred too. Too early to find any reviews on them yet so you will have to go on their recommendations. Be aware that the tv will have to fit into your van. We asked for Thomson but dealer could not get it back into the housing in the van so settled for next best reviewed and that was the Avtex.

It was probably the LED array. LCD tvs use pure white LEDS to backlight the screen, the LCD panel lets varying amounts of each of the three primary colours (red, green, blue) through each pixel (picture element) to create the picture. The LED array is the component that is most sensitive to low voltage and this is why when your supply falls below a certain level the screen blacks out but you still get sound. In fact the picture is still there but without the backlight you just can't see it. LCD TVs are often sensitive to over voltage as they don't usually have built in voltage regulation. This is why if you have a 12 volt set it is best to run it from a stabilized supply such as the Amperor unit. D.

• 1 month later...
Guest peter
Try Asda very cheap 15" LCD TV's and work on 12 Volt. Have had a Relysis on my boat for ages and am well pleased.

Archived