to David lloyd- Martin- or Mell B

Guest TERRY

Hi,could any of you help a thicky with the french aires downloads?..do i download the five downloads under p.o.i. ov 2 to my computer ,if so, if any of you have got the time,could you please tell me what to do next?i would be very grateful if you could help me.my g.p.s. is tom tom ,by the way. thank you terry.

Guest Nick Miller
Terry Whilst not wishing to involve myself in arguments about whether one motorhome web site is better than another i do see on a complimentary website motorhomefacts.com that this very problem is now under discussion. Have a look under 'Downloads' in the recent postings and one Robin Hood has enabled me to untangle this very subject. Think you can view for free or you might even think the information worth a subscription. N

Guest trigrem
Terry Hope the following helps with downloading OV2 and BMP files to TOM TOM 1 Download zip file and unzip contents to file in "My Documents" 2 Connect Pocket PC to Laptop or Desktop PC. 3 Open the file in "My Documents" containing the unzipped files OV2 and BMP. 4 Copy the OV2 (Menu Copy). 5 Open "Active Sync". 6 Open "Explore". 7 Select "My Pocket PC" 8 Select "Storage Card" ie the one with the map of the country you want to display the Aires. 9 Select the map where the POI's are to be stored ie France. 10 Goto Menu Paste, ie "Edit" "Paste". 11 Repeat for the BMP file. Best of luck. if you have problems contact me by e-mail.

Guest david lloyd
Terry - sorry for not replying but have just got back from a few days away at NEC and saw your message. I have not tried downloading the aires yet from campingcar-infos but the instructions given by trigrem look very comprehensive. Trigrem - thanks for the instructions - I am hoping to do the downloads shortly. Regards, david

first of all,thank you Trigrem for your download instructions,i could not reply earlier as my p.c. has been down .....David,if you are successful downloading the aires would it be possible to let me know if you could open them on your pc as they would not open for me.it could be me as i am not very good at this computer stuff.as far as i know ,i did everything right ,maybe it is a fault with the downloads.thank you terry.

Guest david lloyd
Hi Terry I have just downloaded the aires from campingcar-infos site using POIEdit (which I also downloaded from there) direct to my PDA. Then, from trigrem's info I realised that I had to load them onto the map of France (which was already on my SD card). This was easily done from the PC with the PDA connected and using Activesync just to copy them into the map folder. They certainly work on the TomTom mapping on my PDA so that's the main thing. I am just trying now to load the France maps onto my PC and thenI hope to be able to view the aires on the laptop. It all sounds easy to me now that I am writing it but it was only done by the stumbling method - will let you know the end result when I have it. Regards, david

hi david or trigrem,i am having trouble with this download,could you tell me which one of these to download to my pc please,as this is where i could be going wrong.these are from campingcar -infos. icone aires publiques ou privees. aires de stationnement. aires sur campings. aires sur autoroutes. aires pas encore verifiees. coordonnees. approximatives. aires tous types confondus. or fichier poi ov2. aires publiques ou privees etc. etc. hope you can help! thank you terry.

Guest david lloyd
Hi Terry I downloaded: aires publiques ou privees aires de stationment aires sur campings but, after downloading, you have to copy them into the actual folder that contains the France map on your PDA or SD card. I haven't tried mine out on the GPS yet but they certainly come up on the pre-planning option. I'm not exactly sure but I think these three categories are: aires in public and private places (such as village squares, pubs etc) aires for parking/water/waste aires on campsites I haven't loaded the aires on autoroutes as they are more obvious but we are less likely to use them - especially for overnighting. I am still thinking of getting the Guide Offciel when it comes out so that we can easily look an aire up in advance (while sipping a glass de vin rouge in the evening) and then use the TomTom to get us there when ready. Regards, david

hi david, thanks for your reply,i will give it another go.i think i understand it a bit more now .i too will be getting the guide officiel which comes out on the 2nd march.the cheapest place i have found it was through a link via www. campingfrance.com, eleven euros with postage . got an ffcc guide off them ,it took about ten days for it to arrive.thank you for your help, terry.

Guest trigrem
Hi Terry Just expanding on Davids comments, the following is my translation. Aires Publiques ou privees. Public or private Aires. Aires de stationment. Parking places, (not necessarily with water or dump facilities) Aires sur Campings. Aires on campsites. Aires sur Autoroutes. Aires on Autorouteds. Aires pas encore verifiees (coordonnees approximatives). Aires not checked, (aproximate coordinates) Aires tous types confudus, Aires all confused. Note the icons for each type are the same picture of a motorhome but different colour, except for Parking Places which is just a P on blue background. As David suggested the the first three are probably the most usefull. I tend to load the latest CD version on my laptop, which I find easier to use to select an aire, then transfer the Latitude and Longitude coordinates to my planned itineray on my TOm Tom. Doug

Guest terry
hi david and doug, success at last,absolutely over the moon,downloaded as suggested,went to poi,s in my pda and there they were,loads of little browny red squares .this is a great help to me as i can now navigate using the poi,s as i do with the camp sites in this country.a lot better than putting addresses in and i find them more accurate.i can,t thank you both enough.hope yous have a good year.regards terry.

Archived