sainsbury free air

duetto owner

after spending ages trying to find a pump and a pressure guage for my motorhome tyres needing 68 & 55 psi found the RAC 800 this turned out to be hopeless the gage showed 120 psi when it was 48psi and the machine failed after 6 mins. I then got another make which worked well on the front tyres but the lead would not reach the rear wheels [despite being for van use], also when though several guages before i found one to give constant readings [homebase £9 digital one] the halfords ones were not reliable.

in the end tried sainsbury petrol stn [not used garage airpump for about 30 years. was very impressed it had a digital pre set meter and inflated the tyres quickly the pressures shown on the airpump gave the same readings as my tyre gage.

well done sainsbury.

As I've mentioned previously, I purchased a Ring RAC-700 tyre pump. See:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15230&posts=30

This is not the greatest of products - connection to a tyre-valve is less than ideal (much harder for my VW Golf's 'rubber' valves than for my motorhome's 'metal' ones) and the built-in gauge is a joke. But - if you can actually get the thing connected to the tyre-valve - it certainly is able to pump up motorhome tyres pretty quickly.

The only 12V pump I'm aware of that should be able to reach all the wheels of most motorhomes without needing a cable extension is the Ring RAC-900. This is clearly a higher specification piece of kit than the rest, it's downsides being the price and the need to connect directly to a 12V battery rather than through a dashboard cigarette-lighter socket.

I actually drive in to my local ATS and ask them to do it for me. I had 4 new camping tyres from them some years ago. They have never refused or asked for payment although I always leave a couple of quid for the operator to get a drink.

It was because most air machines did not go up to the pressure that I needed.

They also pointed out that the local supermarkets machines were never callobrated and therefore worthless in trying to ge the correct pressure. How true this is I do not know, I just thought I would share it with you.

Archived