FIAT X250 Door mirrors

Just got back from France with a damaged nearside Door Mirror. They stick out so far that it is almost inevitable that someone will come the other way in a rush on a narrow road. The front of the casing has a piece missing, but the glasses are OK and the adjustments and heating electrics survived. Has anyone had a similar experience and can offer advice on repairs, please.

Neil B

I knocked mine off in Cornwall last year. If yours is an electric one price is nearer to £180. Fitting is easy remove internal panel covering the fixing screws, it is just 'popped' on. Remove the screws, they are the torque screw type. You then remove the electric window switch, again a simple lever out job, the electrical connectors are under this, three of them. Undo connectors and pull wires through. The hardest job is threading the new wires back in place, I used a piece of wire to thread them through. You will probably need someone to hold mirror for you to do this. Took me about half an hour.

had my van since march and offside mirror been clouted twice,both by motorhomes. latest was last saturday in portmadoc, luckily both times nothing was broken and the wife clipped it back in while i was having a victor meldrew moment. not looking forward to taking van on really narrow roads now.

Guest peter

We had our O/S mirror smashed also by a Motorhome going too fast on a narrow road in Devon last week. Mines LHD so I can get well over to the left as I can see side of road, he must have lost his bottle and moved over, Grrrr.

Ordered a new one today @ £134.30 inc VAT. Easy to fit after removing 4 Torx screws. Two are visible, other two are under plastic trim that neds to be prised up enough to get a socket on. Plug for repeater light is under handle, just follow the wire and you will find it clipped on the door frame. Disconnect it and tie a piece of cord to it before removing mirror so you can pull the new on in without fiddling about.

Mine has manual mirrors so has only one wire, hence relatively low price.

I'm going to dismantle it and laminate the inside surface with GRP so the next one that hits it won't do so much damage. there are at least 24 permutations of these mirrors so getting a new one is not straightfoward. But the part number is on a label on the face that butts to the door.

Takes about an hour to fit. You will need to remove the Remis blind if fitted.

Another thing with these mirrors is that they are too stiff so don't move out of the way very easilly. But if you prise off the arm cover you can loosen the nut on the bearing cone on the top and spray in plenty of grease on both top and bottom bearings. The bottom bearing has a circular indented spring that gets very wet and goes rusty making it very stiff. Make sure you get plenty of grease in here.

Ater doing all this they push out of the way very easilly.

Guest peter

Fitted my new mirror today. The new one is slightly different from the old one inasmuch that it has 2 locating dowels fitted to make it easier for the factory to fit them to the doors. But my doors (07 model) do not have holes in to accept these dowels. Fear not though as all you need to do is get a small hammer and give the dowels a sharp tap and they break off below the mating surface.

Hope the new one lasts a bit longer.

• 1 month later...

Just damaged my drivers door mirror backing into my drive. Doh!

Luckily, glass is OK but plastic casing is broken into three or four bits.

Does anyone know what plastic this is made from or better still a suitable glue to put it back together?

Thanks,

Bob

HI,

Had my nearside mirror clipped by a passing van that was overtaking a bike whilst in France on a fairly narrow road,( no the van did not stop) it knocked a hole in the case, mirror glasses were ok but the indicator lense was broken.

I was quoted around £300 for a repacement unit mine contain all the toys pluss the radio aerial, so I made a mould and rebuilt the case using 2oz fibreglass cloth and apoxy laminating resin, on the inside, after cleaning with acetone and abraiding the surface The broken edge on the front case I remoulded using milliput apoxy putty. any filling I did using Isopon ABS bumper repair then resprayed using a satin black spray.

To solve the problem of them sticking out to far I have shortened the arms by 50mm, this makes the overal width of the van about 150mm less so should make them less vulnerable. I have not found the rear vision compromised by making them closer.

I have made a cover for the side indicator to keep it dry but need a repacement, this is not available as a spare part, although it has to be removed to replace the bulb, so if any one has a nearside indicator unit intact after having there mirror broken and is willing to part with it I would be most grateful.

regards to you all Geoff

Hi,

So it is ABS then and you can get bumper repair stuff to repair it?

I'll follow that up, thanks.

Also, I have seen the indicator reflectors for sale on ebay for £ 10.99.

Can't remember the site but do a search on ducato door mirrors. Hope this helps.

Bob

Hi Neil,

Sorry if I confused you, I do only have 2 mirrors. Shortening the arms of the mirrors was not easy and required a lot of thought before taking the hacksaw to them! the way I carried out the task was to leave the assembly on the van,as I did not want to take the doors to pieces, I removed the rear mirror cover and the plastic arm covers then took of the tubular metal frame that supports the unit. The frame has a dogleg formed in the top part of it so the first job was to heat up and reform this dogleg further dowm the tube, then cut 50mm frome the top and bottom of it check that it fitted to the mirror mounts on the van then when any adjustment had been carried out the bolt holes were re-drilled and the frame repainted and mounted back on the van.

The next job was to remove the plastc arms from the rear cover, this was done by drilling out the plastic rivets on the inside of the case, the arms then had 50mm cutoff the m keeping the angles intact, then filling the inside to make them fit correctly and bonding to the cover using apoxy cement after cleaning the survace with accetone and roughing up to obtain a good bond. The cover was then refitted to the front of the mirror assembly then thefront arm covers were cut to size carefully and refitted using apoxy cement. Any iregularities were then filled using Isopon ABS repair filler and the unit re sprayed using a satin finish black spray and finally polishing with Autoglym bumper care.

I measured the overall width of the vehicle before I started and again when the job was finished the reduction of 50mm per mirror reduces the width by 100mm then if you take into account the fact that the mirrors are angled towards the rear of the van the overall reduction by triangulation further reduces the width within the region of 150mm.

The rear view from the mirrors is not compromised but because the mirrors are closer to the van the point where the 2 lines of light reflecting from the mirrors bisect are such that if a vehicle is tailgating it will not be seen so easily, on the plus side it is less likely to have a mirror strike! I can if requested to do so, take a couple of pics of the job and post them on the forum.

hope this clarifies things

regards Geoff

Archived